Pond Breather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Mine is frozen solid into the pond, with no melted ice around it. I see NO water movement either. I called Fosters and Smith and they are sending me a return label and a new unit when it come in - it's back ordered till Jan 21, 2015.

I'm glad I've got my air stone going and pond deicer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would still like to see a picture of the cracks if you get a chance.
The breather will not melt ice around the unit.
Sorry to hear you're having problems with yours.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is frozen solid in the pond, but in the tube you can see a trickle of water going up the tube and back down the tube.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. There is no trickle of water in mine :( I've tried looking very closely numerous times...I guess it's defective.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just walked down to the ponds, you can see the water moving in the tube and hear a soft trickle sound, like a little water fountain. I drilled down, ran out of drill bit at 5 inches, need a longer one to see how deep the ice is. The pond water is 41f. and holding.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Boy it sure didn't take long to build up quite a bit of ice on your pond addy. Just turned on your video again to look and see if the ice storm has started. It's now about 3pm our time and what the heck are you doing out there in shorts,lol! Oh now I see Missy out there doing her duty. You gotta be freezing!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol, she has not quite figured out it is winter................ I usually run out in shorts and flip flops, to much work to put on pants and shoes. The cold does not bother me.

Usually just a sweat shirt if out for longer, than shoes, pants, coat, i.e. over 20 minutes.

They are now saying it will start after 1 am, it changes constantly. The week of winter mix is now just sunday, monday and thursday, but that could change with the next refresh of the screen.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are lucky she will go out but then I noticed it is a balmy 34 there right now. I'll not be looking at the computer at 1am but I'll check in tomorrow morning to see if you are in a frozen wonderland.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1am our time..............subtract , what is it 4 hours? It will make great pictures if we do have a ice storm.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I forgot about the time dif. Maybe I will check in around 9pm and see if any action is going on. When we were in Michigan for a couple yrs they had some beautiful ice storms. Not so great for the cars or trees but sure make nice pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, finally pulled the pond breather from the pond and it has at least 6 different vertical cracks! Wow, I am shocked and have no idea what could have caused this to happen. Drs. Fosters and Smith sent me a return label, so will find a box and return for an exchange.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is too bad, my two are just running away. Glad to see, since the pond is totally iced over. Still see the fish swimming around off and on. Cameras are a little mucked up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well, finally pulled the pond breather from the pond and it has at least 6 different vertical cracks! Wow, I am shocked and have no idea what could have caused this to happen. Drs. Fosters and Smith sent me a return label, so will find a box and return for an exchange.
Drs F & S have great customer service. Hope your new pond breather holds up better. You must of got a bad one. Doesn't sound like anyone els has had that problem.
I may consider one of these for next year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are totally frozen over the pond is still sitting at 41, outside temps in the 20's next week dropping to the 10 and lower range.

Glad the breather is working.

Ask a Question