Pond Breather

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. The black box just doesn't look like something I should be putting into the water. :)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Could somebody please post a close up picture of the top of their pond breather? I would like to see how far up the tube goes.

I figured out why I had ice in the top of my pond breather this winter. The tubing does not go all the way to the top (which is what I think it is suppose to) and it is no longer connected to the heating element. I think the weight of the pump has pulled the tubing down. Any suggestions on how to prevent that from happening?

Even with the problems, I think the pond breather really helped with the quality of the water. The water was clear all the way to the bottom this spring.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The tubing locks in so the pump can not pull down the tube. I have not had the issue. Not at home so can't get a shot for you. I watch it get totally covered by snow and next thing you see is the hole above the tube opening up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'll try for a picture of mine later today. I'm pleased with the Pond Breather and small aerators, this winter, the water looks good and the fish look great!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
tubing locks in so the pump can not pull down the tube.

This is what I don't see on my pond breather. Where exactly is the tubing 'locked'? Looks like the only thing that was holding my pump up was two zip ties on the heating element and these allowed the tube to slide down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Cas, the top cap of the breather twists off and you can see that the heating element secures the hose/heating element assembly around the top of the plastic tube.
The water comes straight out of the top like a miniature fountain.
(I still have 10 inches of ice here, so I could get close up to my working breathers)

IMG_4239.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very helpful @MitchM - thank you! I am glad you didn't fall into the pond getting this picture!! So next I have to figure out how to stop the weight of the pump from pulling the tubing down. I will work on repairing it today. (Sorry you still have 10 inches of ice - bummer.)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just dump mine in the pond. The pump hangs down in the big pond in the 1000 gallon I tie it up to keep the pump off the bottom. Never moved the tubing. When we get home i will pull them out. See if some wire tie is helping. Time to remove i have had them off for a month or so, on my list to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I anchor mine to a hanging flower pot that I put some stones in to keep them from floating around. I try to center the pump basket, it hangs above the stones in the pot. I very loosely zip tie onto the basket hook. Keeps the pump form sucking up muck too since the pond is only 30" deep. I haven't had a problem with the tubing pulling down on mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I still have mine running even though I haven't had ice on my pond for weeks. Just thought the little bit of water movement might be good. Have not started my pumps up yet.
Does everyone clean them up inside before putting them away for summer?

Thanks Mitch I did not realize the top twisted off. Will help to clean it up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just hose my breathers off and put them in the barn for the summer.
I check it over to make sure everything's in place.
That is all I do also. I stick them in the basement in a box, hoping to find them again.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well I used lots of zip ties to reconnect the heating element to the water tube so hopefully they stay connected next winter. I still haven't figured out a way to support the pump with something other than the water tube, so hopefully the extra zip ties will help.

Ask a Question