Pond construction in a very hot dusty climate.

Reaction score
Hello guys ,
Am new in the forum , with a 2 month old hoppy of Ponds and Koi.
I've been reading recently on ponds construction , kits plants ...etc.
I have 2 problems facing me. The first being that i live in the Persian gulf area and we dont have pond kits retailers around here , thats why i have to buy all i need online facing all issues associated with this. If everything goes as planned i might be a retailer later.The second issue is that i live in very hot dusty weather that will affect my pond badly.

In this thread , i need your help guys in choosing the best equipments that will help me in my specific situation.The needed pond size is 11' x 11' , depth is 3'., with a water fall.The temperature here reaches 122 F in summer and 32 F in winter.

what i need is

1- Heavy duty skimmer with very good filteration associated with an area for UV clarifier, With a camouflage stone.
2- Heavy duty pump 3000 GPH , tsurumi ?
3- Underlaynment and EPDM liner 17' x 17' , size okey? plus 7x7' liner for water fall
4- Heavy duty waterfall with very good filteration , height will be around 2'-3'.
5- good aereator , since its really hot here and oxygen might be depleted.
6- UV clarifier 30 watts will be enough i think ? pond will be around 2000 gal if am not mistaken.
7- do i need chiller to cool the pond water in summer ? if yes is there any economy chiller that might help ?
8- Any idea what plants might thrive in this very hot weather ?
9- do u think koi will do fine in this weather or i should shift to gold fish?

anything missed ?
any advice guys ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They really like you to post an introduction in the introduction thread.

you introduced your self well in this thread, but post one in the intro thread too

Make your pond deep, mine in arizona is 5 feet, we can get to 115 usually, hotter sometimes

Have a good water fall, water cools as it falls.

I would stick with gold fish, they are more forgiving

The plants depends on what is available over there, or you can acquire. Plants will keep your pond healthier and cooler

Reaction score
addy1 said:
They really like you to post an introduction in the introduction thread.

you introduced your self well in this thread, but post one in the intro thread too

Make your pond deep, mine in arizona is 5 feet, we can get to 115 usually, hotter sometimes

Have a good water fall, water cools as it falls.

I would stick with gold fish, they are more forgiving

The plants depends on what is available over there, or you can acquire. Plants will keep your pond healthier and cooler

Thanks mate for your input . very helpful
i dont see any intruduction thread , where is it ?

any idea whats a good skimmer that has uv light space in it ? and what construction parts do u advice ?
Regarding plants , ill be ordering them online like water lettuce , hyacinth , lillies , pickerel pink rush , canna , giant papyrus...any thoughts ?

do i need chiller or an aereator ?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mofal welcome to the forum. Not sure what your water table is where you are at but I would go deeper to help keep the pond cooler and warmer in the winter. You will need a bigger liner if you go deeper. I have a savio skimmer which has worked out well for me but you could also use a pool skimmer.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is the link https://www.gardenpondforum.com/introductions-f2.html

I would definitely go with an aerator and the savio skimmers have a place for a uv light.

For your plans just be sure there are no regulations as to what you can and can't have where you are at. The plants you listed are all good, some will grow very rapidly and you will have to control them so they don't take over your pond.

Reaction score
Thanks guys , your help is really appreciated.
5' is too much work for me , isnt 3-4 feet enough ?
do i need a drain if i go deeper ? or a vac will be enough for cleaning ?

i saw the savio skimmer , it comes with an area for uv light ...but i didnt like the skimmer shape , although am sure its a heavy duty one ..any thoughts ?

Reaction score
i forgot to mention that the pond will be shaded by a fabric that prevents 70% of the sun..do i still need the 5 feet deep ?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Go as deep as you can go 3-4 feet should be fine. You don't need a bottom drain (BD) but it helps if you are going to keep koi as they can be a bit messy. I don't have one and am thinking about putting in a retrofit BD. I have the savio and performs well, can't comment on any others. The fabric will definitely help but your air temps getting that hot during the day it will still get warm. How cold does it get at night?

Reaction score
at night temp ranges from 86-95 F , mostly near 90
i dont think Koi will be able to adapt to these temp ?

what waterfall do use ?
can i use submersible pump with savio skimmer ?

do u have any problem with algea ?

you are right , its still hot even with shade. Even sometimes i cant wash my hands with tap water since its very hot !!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
5' would be far better! Maybe a day more digging for you, probably 50% less death rate for the fish. I run Savio also, HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Their cover stone is expensive but you can easily blend it in where it's completely unnoticeable. Bottom drain would be nice and can be plumbed into the skimmer. There is another member that is building a similar system here on the forum that is using the same equipment with a BD. Is it needed, NO does it make life easier, Yes!

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/wall-between-small-upper-pool-w-waterfall-and-main-pond-t8725p5.html

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
mofal said:
at night temp ranges from 86-95 F , mostly near 90
i dont think Koi will be able to adapt to these temp ?

what waterfall do use ?
can i use submersible pump with savio skimmer ?

do u have any problem with algea ?

you are right , its still hot even with shade. Even sometimes i cant wash my hands with tap water since its very hot !!

I have the savio filter falls, but there are DIY ones here on the forum that you can make much cheaper.
I believe you can use a submersible in a savio skimmer, I do not as I run an external pump.
I have algae blooms at the beginning of the startup but after a month I rarely have it. I do get string algae in my falls and creek but I clean it out daily and its no big deal. Makes good compost.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My arizona pond has gold fish and shubunkins. They do fine with the heat. With a little shade, water movement, my water stayed around 88. In the summer the night temps can stay in the high 90's .

The water fall you use depends on what you want to build, how high, rocks or not.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
5' would be far better! Maybe a day more digging for you, probably 50% less death rate for the fish. I run Savio also, HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Their cover stone is expensive but you can easily blend it in where it's completely unnoticeable. Bottom drain would be nice and can be plumbed into the skimmer. There is another member that is building a similar system here on the forum that is using the same equipment with a BD. Is it needed, NO does it make life easier, Yes!

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/wall-between-small-upper-pool-w-waterfall-and-main-pond-t8725p5.html

thanks for the link mate , so much helpful.

Reaction score
what a great support from you guys , Thanks alot.

addy1
my waterfall will be around 3 feet high , ill use boulders 1 on each side to make it blend in more , then a small stream around 3-4 feet to end in the pond. The stream and waterfall will be supported on eaither side with rocks of varying sizes..

what waterfall and pump size do u recommend ?

Ask a Question