New Pond - Sleeper Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a new pond around 2' underground and circa 3' above ground level built out of sleepers. I need and would appreciate some advice on the intended build which is as follows:

1.The pond size is 23' L x 9' W x 5' D and as stated 2' will be below ground level and 3' above which will be built out of new sleepers 2.4 m x 100 mm x 200 mm. Each sleeper will be laid on its widest side and laid on a concrete ring beam.

2. The corners will be supported by galvanised angle iron which has 4" angles to wrap around each corner and is about 1/4" thick. It will extend to the top of the highest sleeper.

3. Sleeper bolts will be inserted at various points along the entire length and at an angle into the wood as I have been told this provides greater strength than inserting them straight down where pressure will be exerted along the its length.

4. Once the sleepers are constructed it is intended that 18mm ply is placed inside the pond from ground level to the top of the sleepers binding them together and adding further strength to the construction.

5. In addition 12 mm rebar will be placed through the sleepers into the ground.

6. I would also like to place a viewing panel in the side of the pond which will be around 5' L x 2' H using a 316 stainless steel frame and 21.5mm glass made for the purpose.

7. A box liner made to fit will then be inserted into the pond.

If anyone can provide advice on what I am doing in terms of improving the structural integrity of the build or that it just does not work and how to make it work it would be appreciated. New to the game and possibly naive and as such any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Your plans sound good
Although I don't know what sleepers are. :-(

I myself would have it deeper in the ground and lower above ground
Like 3 foot below and 2 foot above.
You would have less side pressure above.

Do you already have a filtration system in mind
It would be be good to know what pipeing and electrical you would need and placement.

Ruben

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Railroad ties here have arsenic in them so check to make sure yours don't have it .You don't want people putting there hands on that

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst we call them Sleepers they have never been used on a railway,they are new timbers but because they are large sections of timber and resemble railway sleepers used here the name sticks. They are in fact circa 8 feet x 4" x 8" and are becoming more common here for building ponds. I appreciate the pressure that will be exerted on the side walls but wanted to get i little more height which I thought would be more pleasing from the point of viewing the koi. That is why I am trying to ensure that the timbers are tied together well and having read several articles thought I was probably going over the top but would rather do that than have the timber move after a few months of finishing the build, that does not mean your the point you have made is not appreciated.

As for the other points you raise there will be:
Bottom drains feeding
Cetus Sieve
Nexus 320
Five bay filters with Japanese Matting, K3 moving and static before the water gets back to the pond.

Thank you for your comments.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Well now knowing what sleepers are ;-) and the extra lengths you going to do to secure them.
You should be well protected for many years.

I like the plan
Picturing it in my head it will look and work fantastic.

Ruben

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will leave an aperture in the sleeper wall to the size of a stainless steel frame made of 316 stainless steel. This will be made with a 100 mm (4") flange which will be secured to the sleepers on the water side of the pond, the stainless steel is then roughened slightly to provide a key for sealing the liner against using gold seal. The glass is then place in the frame against a flange at the front of the frame again sealed using gold seal. This method of fitting and sealing a viewing window is tried and tested although I have read and seen on the internet people who have merely channeled out a recess in the sleepers, placed gold seal in the channel and then inserted the glass but I am not that brave. Others on the internet have merely secured the glass flat against the sleepers and this has also worked but again I am not that brave.

I trust I have explained the method of fitting the viewing window in order that you visualise what I intend to do. I will of course once I start this project put pictures and explanations of what I am doing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @koifan nice to see yet another Brit joining the forum
Sounds like a good plan cant wait to see the finished pond , Goldseal as you know sets in the water and is what we usded to secure the bottom drain to our molded plastic pond 1,000 imperial gallons plus any where else that it was needed such as the overflow pipe and the return pipe which comes back from our three 32"vortex style filters two with jap matting [portcullis style] and a barrel filter with k1 .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @koifan nice to see yet another Brit joining the forum
Sounds like a good plan cant wait to see the finished pond , Goldseal as you know sets in the water and is what we usded to secure the bottom drain to our molded plastic pond 1,000 imperial gallons plus any where else that it was needed such as the overflow pipe and the return pipe which comes back from our three 32"vortex style filters two with jap matting [portcullis style] and a barrel filter with k1 .

Dave
Thanks for the welcome and comments. I just hope that my plan for a large pond in sleepers works as brick and block seem to be the norm but thought that in my garden timber may have a softer impact visually. However, will it stand up is obviously just as important and must admit to having some concerns about my plan hence the reason I am, in my opinion going over the top. Only time will tell but have now dug out the general area where the pond will be sited and will start shuttering for the concrete ring beam in the next few days weather permitting.

Ask a Question