Wood Pond construction

Reaction score
Thinking of building a Pond out of wood so I don't have to dig it up, plus if I need to it can be dismantled. What's the best kind of wood to use, also can I use Epdm roof rubber as lining?

I'm presuming the construction will be similar to that of a plant box , I'm thinking 5'x2'x3' , nothing too big, just enough for a couple goldfish.

Gary Graham

Redballs
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hard water
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Luke i build ponds out of wood and use new sleepers, laid like bricks then bolted together, you would do better using proper pond liner as they do not leek chemicals that are in the rubber, this is cheap, i always get mine on line as you get an underlay with it, as well as a 10 year warranty, as an extra i lay a layer of bubble wrap down first, then the underlay then pond liner, hope this helps.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Threw as some roofing now comes with an algae preventive in it .I did find that if you clean it good it can work but the algae not growing on it can be a problem .Different countries also have different standards for rubber roofing also .You would need to check with the company that produces the rubber roofing .Here goodyear makes most of the roofing and pond liner and they say it depends on what state it is sold in .They add more treatment to the rubber roofing made for states with more rainfall .I asked goodyear about it since there is a goodyear tire plant here and I know one of the bosses there .Sad to say many deaths in plant accidents there lately

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
L:uke if your thinking about keeping koi the minimum depth for them is 4.5" which insures they safely overwinter so if your keeping them remember to make it a tad deeper than it is planned

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
L:uke if your thinking about keeping koi the minimum depth for them is 4.5" which insures they safely overwinter so if your keeping them remember to make it a tad deeper than it is planned

Dave
I think he said just a couple goldfish, but it's always nice to throw that reminder in.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips - I will consider the freezing of the water into equation and make it deeper, it would be nice with a couple Lily pads.

I came across a solar powered little fountain, considering Scotland is pretty bleak at the best of times will there be enough lighting for this to work? I have a little solar powered light outside buy not sure how this compares to a fountain .

Thanks again for the replies

Ask a Question