Pond De-Icer

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 100w heaters as well as 1500w ones. I keep both in the ponds but only plug in the 100w ones. If they freeze up I plug in the big ones. They will open up most of the surface of my ponds (10X10 & 11X13). These heaters eat electric!!! My power bill jumped almost $100 when I had them plugged in a couple of years ago. Now I just use them in extreme cold.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WOW 1250 watts .I only have a 150 watt one for my big pond.you may cook everything.I put mine on a switched outlet that is in the house if I need the heater on I just turn on the switch from inside .Don't have to go out in the cold

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The general rule of thumb for heating indoor aquariums is 1 watt/gallon, so you have exceeded that.
-but that a heck of an expensive way to keep your pond water oxygenated.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was browsing through de-icers today on ebay and having such a hard time finding anything under 1000w in my price range.

That is why I went the pond breather method, they only use 40 watts, 1/3/ amp. It is like running a 40 watt light bulb 24/7.

I like the idea of it, but one thing I'm not too sure about, is that it says its protects against ice only up to 15". Last year was a bad winter and we got close to that, if not past it. Its rare, but I would be worried. Also, is it a substitute for an aerator or would I have to figure something else there?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm an advocate of the pond breather.
Keep your fish load to water volume low, and your pond relatively clean and I think you'll do fine.
Last year I had probably 24 inches of ice and everything survived. I wish I had an underwater pond camera to observe. Maybe some year I will.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm an advocate of the pond breather.Last year I had probably 24 inches of ice and everything survived. I wish I had an underwater pond camera to observe. Maybe some year I will.

As I said to addy, I do like the idea of a pond breather, but the one I was looking at says its good up to 15" of ice, and though not common, if we happen to have a winter that gives us more than that, I fear it will all be for nothing. I imagine if there are pond breathers meant for thicker ice, it will be out of my price range.

I've always wanted an underwater camera too, especially one that can be hooked up online. It would be so cool!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
As far as I know, there is only one model of pond breather.

My experience with pond ice is that it freezes in both directions, i.e., not just deeper once it freezes on top. The floation part of my pond breather is completely encapsulated in ice right now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've always wanted an underwater camera too, especially one that can be hooked up online. It would be so cool!
Get a security system that is what our underwater cams are attached to. I can dial in and look at any time to see the fish. Right now not much activity, but you do see them swimming around and snacking on the plants under the ice.

Put the cam where you can clean off the algae growth, it gets a fine layer on it now and then.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all have sales today petmountain .webbs and also pet stores like petsmart and petco .dr foster and smith some have free shipping .You can also get them at walmart online and tractor supply

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
let me see if I can find the email order confirmation. We are not home and I don't recall the make.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is what I bought last year

Veilux, SVV-60IRC40L2812D, Dual Power True D/N, Underwater Proof WDR 3D DNR Vandal Proof IR Dome Camera

Ask a Question