Pond dug, liner in...now pump/waterfall concerns

DMB21

Matt
Reaction score
Yeah I would go up in mil. I wish I had gone up when I bought mine just because of the bubbling that's going on and if it springs a leak the thought of having to move all that rock makes my back scream ugly words at me. I wish I could give you a better idea of longevity but I can't I can only tell you that given the opportunity to do it again, I'd have spent the extra and gone with the 22 mil.
Thanks! I appreciate it!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The pvc liners are 20 mil so with the billboard i would go at least to a 30 mil just in case a rock gets dropped into the pond .The you never know what can happen always happens .I know they are easy to tuck under themselves ,I have a 30 mil in my lotus lily pond .I lined it with 60 lb roofing felt and then put liner over that .I get moles and that is what chewed through my pond liner last year .

DMB21

Matt
Reaction score
The pvc liners are 20 mil so with the billboard i would go at least to a 30 mil just in case a rock gets dropped into the pond .The you never know what can happen always happens .I know they are easy to tuck under themselves ,I have a 30 mil in my lotus lily pond .I lined it with 60 lb roofing felt and then put liner over that .I get moles and that is what chewed through my pond liner last year .
Do you think two 17 mils on top of each other would work?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would not do 2 liners on top of each other. I was told that you then have the possibility of getting water leaking in between the 2 liners and causing issues. I put a new liner over an old one and poked a bunch of holes in the old liner.

DMB21

Matt
Reaction score
I would not do 2 liners on top of each other. I was told that you then have the possibility of getting water leaking in between the 2 liners and causing issues. I put a new liner over an old one and poked a bunch of holes in the old liner.
Okay. Thank you so much for the help!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No one else on this site that I know of has used the billboard tarp. I looked all over this site and another site before saying I was going to just risk it and buy what I could afford. If the money is the issue, go for the 17. It will definitely hold up better than my wimpy 11. We can be the test cases for future ponders!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let me ask you this: by the sounds of things, you just added a shelf the whole way around to allow the rocks to form a natural border. You didn't slope the edges the whole way around to go for a shallow-to-deep look?
I dug down around the edge i.e. a small 6 inch wide shelf around 4-5 inches below water level. On that you stack rocks that go up from the shelf and up and over the edge, makes it blend in nicely.

No I did not slope it. The shape stayed similar to the preform shape, removed some of the dirt that formed the preform shelves. That made it slightly deeper, slightly wider, but very close to the preform size. I did not want to dig out a lot, the size fit in nicely where it was.

DMB21

Matt
Reaction score
I think I am going with the 17 mil billboard tarp liner. I feel like it should be fine for the short-term -- as in the 3-4 years (at most) I have left in my current house. After that, it's the next owner's problem. The difference in price -- $60 shipped compared to $130 shipped for a 22 mil liner) is drastic, given that the difference in thickness is relatively small.

Thanks, all, for the help. I'll post some pictures when the project is done. Probably won't be until I return home from Disney in the late part of May.

Ask a Question