sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would but PA is a little far from me and I have not been back there since my parents were died there .My parents lived in Berwick

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pulled a preform that cracked and put in a liner it did not mess with the landscaping around it at all. What I did was yank it out I then dug the hole down a little deeper, got rid of the preform shelves, ie. the dirt. Then dug down a small shelf around the edge to lay rocks on the liner to hide it. Around 4-5 inches down. Put the liner in, put rocks around the edge and up and out of the pond. A little mess around the pond, a few squished plants but overall not much damage.
Took two days. One to empty the preform and save all the critters the second to dig and line it,
DSC07010.JPG
DSC07012.JPG
DSC07015.JPG

DMB21

Matt
Reaction score
I pulled a preform that cracked and put in a liner it did not mess with the landscaping around it at all. What I did was yank it out I then dug the hole down a little deeper, got rid of the preform shelves, ie. the dirt. Then dug down a small shelf around the edge to lay rocks on the liner to hide it. Around 4-5 inches down. Put the liner in, put rocks around the edge and up and out of the pond. A little mess around the pond, a few squished plants but overall not much damage.
Took two days. One to empty the preform and save all the critters the second to dig and line it,
Wow, looks great! So much more natural looking.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't too difficult. I was assuming that would be the case, as the majority of the digging is done. I think I might keep the depth at 2 feet, but possibly make it a bit wider. Let me ask you this: by the sounds of things, you just added a shelf the whole way around to allow the rocks to form a natural border. You didn't slope the edges the whole way around to go for a shallow-to-deep look?

Couple questions:

1. My pond is about 6x6x2 right now. I'm probably going to add a foot to foot and a half around the perimeter. I'm thinking a 15x15 liner would work. Is this correct?
2. Would this liner be okay? I really cannot afford to spend more than $100-$125 right now. If not, any price comparables that might be better?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can shop around for liners and most have tools on there sight to figure size of liner .I got mine from dr foster and smith with free shipping on a holiday weekend .Most charge a small fortune for shipping .I actually called and nice people there helped me figure everything out last year .I told them the size of my liner now and haw much bigger i wanted the pond to be .I had a handtruck ready for UPS when they delivered .I ordered 20x25 and they sent the liner it was actually slightly bigger ..Pond is 10ft wide by 24 ft long but there was so much more liner than the 25 ft that i had enough to do the small upper pond .Look for free shipping or low cost shipping .Webbs is also good and some have even bought the billboard sign pond liners and i know addy got a liner that was nice .

DMB21

Matt
Reaction score
You can shop around for liners and most have tools on there sight to figure size of liner .I got mine from dr foster and smith with free shipping on a holiday weekend .Most charge a small fortune for shipping .I actually called and nice people there helped me figure everything out last year .I told them the size of my liner now and haw much bigger i wanted the pond to be .I had a handtruck ready for UPS when they delivered .I ordered 20x25 and they sent the liner it was actually slightly bigger ..Pond is 10ft wide by 24 ft long but there was so much more liner than the 25 ft that i had enough to do the small upper pond .Look for free shipping or low cost shipping .Webbs is also good and some have even bought the billboard sign pond liners and i know addy got a liner that was nice .
I've been shopping around. Haven't found a whole lot that falls into my price range, and of course the billboard liners come in every possible size, except what I'm looking for. I emailed them, though, hoping they could find something for me.

I used the billboard sign but I don't have the severe cold that you guys get up there.
I have done some reading in the time since sissy mentioned the liner. From what I can tell, they're pretty well reinforced and should hold up in the cold and sun. I don't plan on being at my current residence for much more than 5 more years, so as long as it lasts that long, any issues will be on the future owner, not me. :)

DMB21

Matt
Reaction score
Here's a question. Billboard Tarps' web site does not have a 15x15 tarp, so I can either go way up in size (20'x20' @ 22 mil) or get close in size (16' x 20' @ 17 mil). The price difference is drastic. The first is $108, plus tax and shipping, which puts it near $140. The second is $38 plus tax and shipping, which puts it near $60. If I buy 2 of the 16x20, the cost comes to $107 with shipping, saving me $30. I figured I could just double up, and in the end, it might be even stronger than one.

Maybe I am way off base. Maybe using two 17 mil tarps is a bad idea. Maybe 17 mil is all I really need and can get away with just one? Maybe neither is accurate and I NEED a 22 mil tarp? Thoughts?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They do custom sizes but with how inexpensive they were I went up in size and used it for putting in my bog and under the piping for the bog. I have had it in since last July and have had no issues with it. I have some slight bubbling on the bottom of the pond but nothing around the edges or the sides where we get some pretty brutal summer heat.

DMB21

Matt
Reaction score
I just checked and I bought the 11 mil stuff.. I would go with the highest mil you can afford.
Hmm. Okay. Thanks. I wonder if 17 mil would be okay in PA? I would really like to get away from this at $60. We're heading to Disney in 2 weeks and that has put a major cramp on our finances.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well since most ponders seem to opt for the 45 mil and I have some minor bubbling I would go 22. Are you digging out your preformed and putting it in ground or using it to go over the existing?

DMB21

Matt
Reaction score
Well since most ponders seem to opt for the 45 mil and I have some minor bubbling I would go 22. Are you digging out your preformed and putting it in ground or using it to go over the existing?
I'm digging out the pre-formed and putting it on the ground. I've got old carpets that I use as my padding.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I would go up in mil. I wish I had gone up when I bought mine just because of the bubbling that's going on and if it springs a leak the thought of having to move all that rock makes my back scream ugly words at me. I wish I could give you a better idea of longevity but I can't I can only tell you that given the opportunity to do it again, I'd have spent the extra and gone with the 22 mil.

Ask a Question