Protective nets for pond pumps/filters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help needed please. I have a 1700 gallon garden pond which is kept clean via mechanical pumps and filters. I have tons of frog and toad spawn and have been advised that the pumps can kill of the tadpoles. I have read of protective nets to put over the pumps to prevent the tadpoles being sucken in but reviews are all so different. Any ideas please? If this is the only way of tadpoles surviving, which is the best net out there? All/any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I can deffinitly see tadpoles being sucked up into pumps and not making it out alive. In most cases you will have so many that you wont really notice a difference from the few that go through the pumps, however if you are really worried then some intake cover may be helpful.

I have never used something like this so I cant provide specific advice on which one to purchase.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1648573277392.gif
@Hopeful

I have used a DIY version of these for mine at times.
They make these pump bags: https://www.amazon.com/pond-pump-mesh-bag/s?k=pond+pump+mesh+bag

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I use what @j.w referenced. But, in my experience, this has never been a problem. Tadpoles seem to stay away from pumps, but when they have ended up in my filter, they were fine.

Ask a Question