Two ponds one bog filter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings and advice needed.

Pictures may follow. I am presently digging and shaping. Liners purchased. No pumps purchased yet. UK based.

Pond 1.
Goldfish.
6m x 3.5m say 19’6” x 11’3” 1m 3’ deep max.

Pond 2
3m x 2.5m x 1m deep. 10’ x 8’ x 3’ deep

Distance between ponds say 5m or16’

I plan to put a bog filter between ponds, it is all the room I have left. Filter could be 5m x 1.5m x 0.3m deep. 16’x5’x 1’.

There is room to put a small stream alongside the bog filter.

Could I pump from Pond 1 to bog filter, then waterfall drop of 0.3 m or 1’ to Pond 2. Pond 2 to flow via a stream back into pond 1?

I will have to try and have inlet and outlets at different points in the ponds.

I would like a low voltage, variable pump. I assume submersible is less noise. Any recommendations?

Any thoughts welcome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your best bet for making the best of your power consumptions is to start with your bog pump water to the bottom of the bog and as the water rises it's at that point if you have a slope or a raised bog you can have a water fall my bog is a foot higher then the stream the water falls into. The stream then flows down hill slightly and drops 6" into a small pond 16' x5' x2' where there are two water falls one larger 24" wide and a second decorative falls that drops out from a log. these drop into the main pond where there is a main drain and a negative edge the main drain goes to the basket strainer of the external pump and is then pumped back to the bog or is sent to two return water jets in the pond that are pushing / splitting between them about 2500 gph. The water that drops over the negative edge falls into an other small pond where there is a suction pipe from the same 12000 gph external pump. But that small pond also has an over flow and that over flow drops into a cistern where it collects rain water and a small pump pushes/ keeps the water circulating back to the pond . In short one main pump does all the work with a small return pump of 400 gph keeps the bog turning over. My external is a performance pro and is crazy quiet. The video starts looking at the side of the raised bog covereed in fabric as i am trying to get creeping jenny to take root and cover the black looking wall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Could you feed the bog from both ponds and flow back into both ponds? A bit more plumbing and an extra pump, but you'd get more water flowing through the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
some times the layout will out weigh the organized and efficient layout but to do that why not just have a center bog just be a area tha water flows over and past to the second pond using to power

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1629993509974.gif
@Vashti

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I had a satellite bog (not directly connected to the pond, but 10’-20’ away, and plumbed with PVC). It was a way to create a mini-pond in my box turtle habitat. I know this isn’t what you are talking about, but anything is possible, I guess. I had a single, submersible pump with flow-control valves (can’t think of what they’re called….), so had water directed uphill to the bog as well as through my main filter. Return to the pond from the satellite/mini-bog was by gravity, through large PVC pipe. I did have to keep an eye on the flow going to the bog, to be sure the bog didn’t overflow into the turtle habitat. It took me a while to figure out the logistics and get it built, but I was very pleased with the results. The turtles liked it, too!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Pictures may follow. I am presently digging and shaping. Liners purchased. No pumps purchased yet. UK based.

Pond 1.
Goldfish.

Pond 2

I plan to put a bog filter between ponds, it is all the room I have left. Filter could be 5m x 1.5m x 0.3m deep. 16’x5’x 1’.

Could I pump from Pond 1 to bog filter, then waterfall drop of 0.3 m or 1’ to Pond 2. Pond 2 to flow via a stream back into pond 1?

I would like a low voltage, variable pump. I assume submersible is less noise. Any recommendations?

Any thoughts welcome.
D2E750AC-8A9A-4E3C-A857-8CD78CECA88D.jpeg
Pond 1 large pond In the foreground.
33A84103-0A52-4D57-8EEA-3C40656E5247.jpeg

Pond 2 . Foreground to the right bog filter. BF discharges into Pond 2 and is pumped from Pond 1. To the left stream flows from Pond 2 back to Pond 1.
15ACA259-BDB0-4178-B0D6-7BB27AB29BCF.jpeg
Bog filter in foreground to the right. Pond 2 above. Stream to be between sticks, adjacent to, but separate from BF. Stream flows from Pond 2 to Pond 1.

Pond 1.
Goldfish.

Pond 2

Any thoughts welcome.

I have 4 separate liners - don’t ask why. Pond 1. Pond 2. Bog filter and stream.

Thank you one and all for your advice. This is my first pond.

Depth both ponds 1m 3 foot.

Bog filter say 3m x 2m 10’x 6’6”

Also I have a large tree stump - photo 1 to the right. Where do I place it?

I also have a large driftwood tree trunk say 3m 10’ length by 0.6 dia. 2’ where do I place it? Alongside a pond seems boring.

Where stream runs from Pond 2 to Pond 1, how do
I overlap liners?

The leaves in the pictures are where I have been pruning. Two trees are close. Where to put a leaf basket?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your best bet for making the best of your power consumptions is to start with your bog pump water to the bottom of the bog and as the water rises it's at that point if you have a slope or a raised bog you can have a water fall my bog is a foot higher then the stream the water falls into. The stream then flows down hill slightly and drops 6" into a small pond 16' x5' x2' where there are two water falls one larger 24" wide and a second decorative falls that drops out from a log. these drop into the main pond where there is a main drain and a negative edge the main drain goes to the basket strainer of the external pump and is then pumped back to the bog or is sent to two return water jets in the pond that are pushing / splitting between them about 2500 gph. The water that drops over the negative edge falls into an other small pond where there is a suction pipe from the same 12000 gph external pump. But that small pond also has an over flow and that over flow drops into a cistern where it collects rain water and a small pump pushes/ keeps the water circulating back to the pond . In short one main pump does all the work with a small return pump of 400 gph keeps the bog turning over. My external is a performance pro and is crazy quiet. The video starts looking at the side of the raised bog covereed in fabric as i am trying to get creeping jenny to take root and cover the black looking wall.
Thank you.

I was undecided if yours is a garden pond or the Amazonas river basin. I love it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
some times the layout will out weigh the organized and efficient layout but to do that why not just have a center bog just be a area tha water flows over and past to the second pond using to power
Help me here.

Pond 1 flows by gravity to bog and then by gravity to pond 2 and then pumped back to pond1?

Or Pond Pond 1 pumped to bog, flows up through bog, then gravity to Pond 2, then gravity stream back to
pond 1. Which is the one I am thinking of doing.

Thank you for advising.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome! I had a satellite bog (not directly connected to the pond, but 10’-20’ away, and plumbed with PVC). It was a way to create a mini-pond in my box turtle habitat. I know this isn’t what you are talking about, but anything is possible, I guess. I had a single, submersible pump with flow-control valves (can’t think of what they’re called….), so had water directed uphill to the bog as well as through my main filter. Return to the pond from the satellite/mini-bog was by gravity, through large PVC pipe. I did have to keep an eye on the flow going to the bog, to be sure the bog didn’t overflow into the turtle habitat. It took me a while to figure out the logistics and get it built, but I was very pleased with the results. The turtles liked it, too!
Thank you for your advice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ultimate layout is Pump to the bottom of the bog where the water is dispersed by more water as it is forced up through 3/8 pea stone or the like. It then comes out a spill way that will dump to a stream or right to a pond from there the easiest and most efficient would be a negative edge where that water will fall into a stream that will then empty the other pond Where the pump pulls in the water and pushes it back to the bog or return jets to the ponds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
AMBITOUS DIG ! I LOVE YOUR SHAPING but im having a hard time understanding why your digging without any real idea who's on first Whats on second and i don't know is on third.

I do hope you chaps know that skit over there or my words are just going to seem very confusing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with each pond feeding to the bog, then getting cleaned water from the bog back to both ponds.

If you go pond 1 to bog to pond 2 to pond 1, then pond 1 is always getting pond #2's "dirty bath water" and never freshly filtered water.

Perhaps you could redesign a bigger bog at the top, and do one bigger pond at the base made from pond 2 and the bog, and one bigger bog where pond 1 is?

Is there a specific reason you want 2 ponds? If there is any illness in one pond, it could still pass to the other through a shared bog. You could have room for bigger fish with one bigger pond. As the bog fills with plants, wouldn't it block the view of the higher pond?

Ignore my comments if you really want 2 separate ponds. :)

Ask a Question