Pond fish food

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Here's a video showing the food and the feeding frenzy :).
Home made food contains fresh broccoli, frozen peas, hemp hearts, carrots, rolled oats, wheat germ, chlorella and spirulina tablets, sweet potato, raspberries, strawberries, garlic, linseed (flaxseed) oil, agar agar etc and then baked into a sheet in a steam oven and cut into delicious, soft, rubbery squares. Yum!
Your fish eat better than me. :ROFLMAO:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Koi need a lot of food to grow and maintain their weight. I have lilies in one pond, no other plants. The other pond has no plants and no algae anywhere! 7 adult koi keep things clean so they get fed at least every other day.

L

Lin

Your fish look beautiful and seem huge! Clearly your routine seems to be working. I was told by my "pond guy" to not feed any food that had any corn in it which ended up being hard to do so I made my own! That being said I used Tetra Pond Spring and Fall floating pond sticks that a rescue place (compassion critters) in California recommended. They loved it and I may use it again when the weather turns colder. Here is a link to my homemade food :):
So when I come back, in my next life I would like to be a Butterfly Koi in your Pond. The only thing I would like added to that delicious fare is cooked cauliflower which I feed to my Koi and :cool: snack on it right along with them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So when I come back, in my next life I would like to be a Butterfly Koi in your Pond. The only thing I would like added to that delicious fare is cooked cauliflower which I feed to my Koi and :cool: snack on it right along with them.
Cooked cauliflower good for them? I can try to give them that as a treat if so. Also, I am worried that my food does not have any animal based ingredients, fish etc being that we are vegetarian. But I was told that they will be able to get that from insects and larvae and such in the pond? Hope so because even the tetra pond spring/fall food is vegetarian.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's a video showing the food and the feeding frenzy :).
Home made food contains fresh broccoli, frozen peas, hemp hearts, carrots, rolled oats, wheat germ, chlorella and spirulina tablets, sweet potato, raspberries, strawberries, garlic, linseed (flaxseed) oil, agar agar etc and then baked into a sheet in a steam oven and cut into delicious, soft, rubbery squares. Yum!
Oh yeah and there was also a bunch of spinach added to the recipe also that I forgot to add!

L

Lin

Cooked cauliflower good for them? I can try to give them that as a treat if so. Also, I am worried that my food does not have any animal based ingredients, fish etc being that we are vegetarian. But I was told that they will be able to get that from insects and larvae and such in the pond? Hope so because even the tetra pond spring/fall food is vegetarian.
Yes, cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. One of my Koi books highly recommends it, cooked or raw. I think Koi are primarily vegetarian anyhow. I keep trying to give up meat and be a vegetarian myself ,but oh the lure of a sirloin steak gets me every time.

Reaction score
When we have clams on the half shell, we scrape out the muscle and give it to
the koi, they love it. We also occasionally give them spinach and kale.

When we raised up a bunch of fry’s to giveaway, ( we housed them in aquariums on our deck)
we fed them brine shrimp.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh yes and I'm sure they have had their fill of eggs and/or fry because they've gone through spawning four (or was it five?) different times and I have yet to see any fry! I googled it and they said they may spawn three times max so I'm not even sure what the heck is going on in my pond!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Drs. Foster and Smith Staple Diet has no corn. I don't like to feed that either and most of the less expensive foods tend to be corn based.
So the rice bran and wheat flour is ok in there? Also, do you know if the food is small enough for fish that are only about 3" - 4"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Corn is not very digestible for fish, so it's really a waste to feed it. Rice bran is much more digestible and is the most nutritious type of rice. Wheat flour is actually pretty nutritious and easily digested by fish.

For my small fish, I soak the pellets and feed the pellets when they soften. I usually squeeze a handful of that with my hand in the water to get out the air so the softened pellets will sink. I keep a container of soaked pellets in my refrigerator for them so I don't have to soak a batch every time I feed them.

The older fish get the same pellets, but right from the bag and the pellets float. They like them soft as well, but don't need them that way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Corn is not very digestible for fish, so it's really a waste to feed it. Rice bran is much more digestible and is the most nutritious type of rice. Wheat flour is actually pretty nutritious and easily digested by fish.

For my small fish, I soak the pellets and feed the pellets when they soften. I usually squeeze a handful of that with my hand in the water to get out the air so the softened pellets will sink. I keep a container of soaked pellets in my refrigerator for them so I don't have to soak a batch every time I feed them.

The older fish get the same pellets, but right from the bag and the pellets float. They like them soft as well, but don't need them that way.
Thanks, I'll get some and soak it.

Ask a Question