Pond Glass Problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well, I've finished the modifications to the pond - so far so good!
Removed the fish into a large tub inside the house with an aerator, drained out the water from the pond and took it all apart. Cleaned off all the old silicone and moved the two glass panes closer together at the corner (4mm gap instead of 10mm that I started with). Then went with Plan-A i.e. welded the side pieces of the top stainless steel trim to the corner section and then siliconed it all to the top of the glass panes on both sides as a brace. After it had all cured, replaced the rocks, refilled with water and then added back the plants and fish.
Great!
Can you post a picture? We would like to see your finished product especially since you have a rather unique pond.
Is it a pond or an aquarium? A pondarium?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great!
Can you post a picture? We would like to see your finished product especially since you have a rather unique pond.
Is it a pond or an aquarium? A pondarium?
unique pucture window

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That was the good thing about this solution, it didn't change the look of the pond just the function of the trim. In the process of installing decorative screens behind that hide the boundary fences - I'll post a shot when that's done (might not be finished today, forecast temperature is 40oC that's about 104oF :cool:).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That looks amazing. Do double check that the glass can continue to support the weight of the water, it would be horrible to have it break. Judging by the temps you posted, you’re not in my area, we aren’t freezing right now, but will be soon enough! I’m planning to make something similar, but inside, as freezing temps in winter here would damage my tank, and thus ruin it. I’ve just got to get a few long term projects done first! Best of luck. And like was posted above about the car dealership, you’ll want a magnet glass cleaner to be able to scrub algae off once that sets in.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
According to all the charts and calculators I've seen, glass this thick size gives me a safety factor of 5 at this size. Cleaning the glass shouldn't be too bad as water is just under arm length deep.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
All done, time to sit back and enjoy!

P1350894.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Congrads looks like it was a relatively easy fix and you didn't need to pull it all apart . Its a well done piece of art one you should be proud
of.

I do like those black panels behind the pond what are they ? are they plastic?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Congrads looks like it was a relatively easy fix and you didn't need to pull it all apart . Its a well done piece of art one you should be proud
of.
I do like those black panels behind the pond what are they ? are they plastic?

The way I read Fresh12's post #14 he did pull it all apart. Quote from post #14 drained out the water from the pond and took it all apart. Cleaned off all the old silicone and moved the two glass panes closer together at the corner (4mm gap instead of 10mm that I started with)

I am very impressed with the skill level needed to fabricate and weld that stainless steel frame. It is beyond my talents. Congratulations to Fresh12!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh yeah he definitely did but to drain the pond and clean the glass of silicone re silicone it is a lot less work the rebuilding the base the two back sides and the two bogs and the water fall. I'm sure fresh 12 is very grateful it was just the glass joint in the corner. Compared to what it could have been. Sounds like a little silicone and some welding was all that was needed. Still more work then anyone wants on a second try for sure but when pioneering your own project these things have to be expected.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Built a rectangular outdoor pond that sits on a concrete slab, two sides are double width brick walls and the other two sides are 12 mm toughened glass panes. The glass panes measure 186 cm long and 135 cm long x 59 cm high each (maximum water depth is 53 cm at the overflow). The glass sits in aluminium channel (20 x 20 x 3 mm) which is screwed to the concrete along the bottom and to the bricks up each side. Where the panes come together in the corner there was a 1 cm gap, which I filled with clear Gold Label Pond Aquarium Sealer. The pond was left dry for a week while the silicone cured before filling it up with fresh water. The top metal edging is only decorative, has no structural purpose.
View attachment 125563
It’s been about 3 weeks since filling the pond and today I noticed that the glass panes have moved. Both panes have pushed out at the top, with the longer pane moving enough that the silicone has peeled away from the glass at the top as seen in Fig.2 below.
View attachment 125566 View attachment 125567

Was this problem caused by the width of the silicone? Would a smaller gap between the panes have worked better?
No support on the front, you need something to hold the glass from moving at all. Very cool!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Built a rectangular outdoor pond that sits on a concrete slab, two sides are double width brick walls and the other two sides are 12 mm toughened glass panes. The glass panes measure 186 cm long and 135 cm long x 59 cm high each (maximum water depth is 53 cm at the overflow). The glass sits in aluminium channel (20 x 20 x 3 mm) which is screwed to the concrete along the bottom and to the bricks up each side. Where the panes come together in the corner there was a 1 cm gap, which I filled with clear Gold Label Pond Aquarium Sealer. The pond was left dry for a week while the silicone cured before filling it up with fresh water. The top metal edging is only decorative, has no structural purpose.
View attachment 125563
It’s been about 3 weeks since filling the pond and today I noticed that the glass panes have moved. Both panes have pushed out at the top, with the longer pane moving enough that the silicone has peeled away from the glass at the top as seen in Fig.2 below.
View attachment 125566 View attachment 125567

Was this problem caused by the width of the silicone? Would a smaller gap between the panes have worked better?
No support on the front, you need something to hold the glass from moving at all. Very cool!!!

Ask a Question