Pond gone cloudy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
OK so a little update. . . . No progress. Nothing pond is still cloudy and horrible visibility down to about an inch. Fish are still eating still swimming happy. I dont jnow what it is or what to do

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Consider a DIY pre filter? I made a really cheap one using a flower pot (small holes on bottom) with carbon filter pads and a bath sponge.

I place small stones one third of the way. On top of that i place the carbon pads followed by sponge. I cut square groove on top of the sponge for the hose and again surrounded in between carbon pads.

The results are unbelievable and its so easy to clean. I 100% guarantee it will clear your water to near perfect charity.
Ill take some pictures so you get a better idea or make a better one yourself.

Attachments

• 100_2093.JPG
    100_2093.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_2095.JPG
    100_2095.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 288
  • 100_2096.JPG
    100_2096.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 242
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry forgot to post pic. I have a post filter and pump is powerful made of two sieves and two different fineness filter wool

Attachments

• DSC_0814.JPG
    DSC_0814.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 298
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pure Pond is a typical benficial(?) bacteria treatment.
First, let's address the bacteria that are in such products. They contain only heterotrophic bacteria which may have the capability of Ammonia and Nitrite oxidation but when compared to the autotrophic bacteria are severely lacking in efficiency (Over 1,000+ times less efficient). Only liquid products contain autotrophic bacteria. If you have an Ammonia or Nitrite problem in your pond then you have serious issues with your biofiltration. a product such as Pure Pond is not going to provide the help that is needed.
These products, as advertised, do break down accumulated organic material. A result of this organic breakdown is that nutrients are re-introduced into the water column adding to the already existing level of nutrients. This is akin to sweeping dirt under a rug. You may not be able to see it but it is still there....and will accumulate to the point of causing issues with water quality.
This product also does not have a MSDS available.
I have not been able to get my pond water clear. I have had a uv light installed and put in lotus. So what is the solution that is not a band aid or sweeping dirt under a rug?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have not been able to get my pond water clear. I have had a uv light installed and put in lotus. So what is the solution that is not a band aid or sweeping dirt under a rug?

Need more info about your particular pond. How big (gallons)? How many fish (size)? How often are they fed? Is the Lotus your only plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
So sorry to say I gave up. Netted all fish drained completely and deep clean. Water is now crystal but notbsure how the mud I found got there to start with liner is all good plants have the dirts washed off before they get planted. Oh well alls good that ends ok

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pure Pond is a typical benficial(?) bacteria treatment.
First, let's address the bacteria that are in such products. They contain only heterotrophic bacteria which may have the capability of Ammonia and Nitrite oxidation but when compared to the autotrophic bacteria are severely lacking in efficiency (Over 1,000+ times less efficient). Only liquid products contain autotrophic bacteria. If you have an Ammonia or Nitrite problem in your pond then you have serious issues with your biofiltration. a product such as Pure Pond is not going to provide the help that is needed.
These products, as advertised, do break down accumulated organic material. A result of this organic breakdown is that nutrients are re-introduced into the water column adding to the already existing level of nutrients. This is akin to sweeping dirt under a rug. You may not be able to see it but it is still there....and will accumulate to the point of causing issues with water quality.
This product also does not have a MSDS available.
Very nice explanation!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So sorry to say I gave up. Netted all fish drained completely and deep clean. Water is now crystal but notbsure how the mud I found got there to start with liner is all good plants have the dirts washed off before they get planted. Oh well alls good that ends ok
If you completely cleaned everything, then you've destroyed whatever beneficial bacteria you had in your pond -- which means your pond is going to have to "cycle" all over. Be sure to keep an eye on your fish and watch your ammonia levels. You're going to go through the "pea soup" stage all over again, so try to be patient and let it happen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a-9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you completely cleaned everything, then you've destroyed whatever beneficial bacteria you had in your pond -- which means your pond is going to have to "cycle" all over. Be sure to keep an eye on your fish and watch your ammonia levels. You're going to go through the "pea soup" stage all over again, so try to be patient and let it happen.

yeah i know the cycles gonna restart but i was never going to get anywhere with 2" of mud and silt in the pond, only way to go way to clean

Ask a Question