water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh my more hives to care for!
Felt sorry for the poor bees, a lot of beekeepers would not take them, due to the beetles, the moths, the equipment is aged. We can fix all that with some effort.

We are going over early am to close them down (i.e. shut the bees in the hives) and move them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am in the planning stage for a meandering stream, probably about 30', pond less. Can you share some design features you have used. Obviously there will be some zig zagging back and worth, but I want to consider sone small side detour/basins. I think the idea to put drain tile on the high side of the stream is wise as we have a steep, wet slope. Do have any photos, drawings or whatever you are willing to share?

"If necessary I also will install multi-flow piping (from Varicore), especially on the uphill side of the stream path, to intercept all ground water from trying to pass directly under that stream bed/EDM. All of these precautionary methods are $ expensive, and often clients balk at such "over-kills" initially. However, when they choose someone else, that is fine; at the very lease, I do not lose my reputation or sleep on "call-backs."

pastures

Dauphene Duck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Greetings Chumley. I see that you quoted my statement about the use of multi-flow. Please remember that a vertically installed multi-flow casts a downhill "shadow" of dryness in the subsoil: greater the dimension/height of piping, greater the shadow depending upon the steepness of your slope. [If you have a water table seeping out of your hillside slope, then you definitely will need some sort of protection from seeping subsurface, slowly moving water eroding the soil directly beneath your proposed stream bed.] At the ends of your zig-zags on one side of your overhaul stream, you can connect all your branches of multi-flow piping into one buried, solid drain pipe following the points of your zig-zags. [I use a trencher to install both multi-flow and solid drainage piping.] I create a sectional profile of capital "M" of the sub-soil beneath my steam bed, covered with EDM, in which the actual stream runs within the "V" part of my capital "M." The legs of capital "M" also cast a protective "shadow" directly beneath your stream bed. Please feel free to ask questions.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Chumley
My stream starts at the top of our hill and heads down. Around 85 feet of stream. Our slope is hard to even walk up, around a 25-30 degree slope. When we get the down pours the water rushes down the slope but not into the stream.

A lot of water flows down the hill during hard rains. I have the uphill part of the stream bed built up and sloped so the flow goes around the stream bed.
At each drop i.e. the switch backs, I have added a small basin to a large basin ie. tiny ponds, at a few of the switch backs I added ponds, around 200 +- gallons. They are fishless full of plants filter type ponds.

Before each drop I have a small depression in the stream bed a bunch of mini water falls as it heads down hill. Also depressions in the stream bed for water retention when the stream is not running.

The one thing I would do, if I did it again, would make the stream bed even deeper. Mine is around 10-12 inches deep during the build, but by the time you add liner, underliner the stream bed was not quite as deep.

The biggest issue I had was the down slope side of the stream I had to build it up with rocks, dirt to make a level spot for the stream bed. And the up slope side had a bunch of dirt to cover up, digging down the slope to make a steam bed.

The deer walk the stream in the winter, they like to munch on the plants. I double lined the stream bed and also used ppl36 not epdm. It has held up to their little sharp hooves.

Every spring before turning on I walk the stream bed and fix deer issues, remove leaves, etc. Then walk again with the water running to catch edge issues.

No need to add pipes under the stream bed to control the water running down the hill. Even when it was raining at rates of 8 inches a hour.

During the build I walked the stream bed looking for any issues with the run off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Chumley
My stream starts at the top of our hill and heads down. Around 85 feet of stream. Our slope is hard to even walk up, around a 25-30 degree slope. When we get the down pours the water rushes down the slope but not into the stream.

If you call that retirement what was work like . good grief woman do you . can you just chill ? i'm betting chill time for your self is working on the latest task. I'm one to talk look at the pond I just built with very limited help. What scares me the most is I have more land I could expand. But like your self i'll be on the road a lot all too soon. I'm hoping the less intervention the better for the pond going to see what mother nature has in store for the pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you call that retirement what was work like . good grief woman do you . can you just chill ? i'm betting chill time for your self is working on the latest task. I'm one to talk look at the pond I just built with very limited help. What scares me the most is I have more land I could expand. But like your self i'll be on the road a lot all too soon. I'm hoping the less intervention the better for the pond going to see what mother nature has in store for the pond.

I worked the hours of two plus jobs, between my full time job and being on call at 4 hospitals. Retired a bit early to move here and marry my new man.
I have never been good at just sitting, TV only holds my attention for a bit, I get bored. Usually it is back ground noise as I do things. Even if watching tv I am chilling by typing on the forum. As long as all are behaving lol

I love reading, give me a good book and I can lose my self for hours. One thing I like about the smart phone I have tons of books downloaded on it. Read when waiting on docs, driving (well when hubby is driving) to the beach or other places. Also sitting on the beach.

Your pond is build is beautiful, wonderful, eye candy to the pond world.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I worked the hours of two plus jobs, between my full time job and being on call at 4 hospitals. Retired a bit early to move here and marry my new man.
I have never been good at just sitting, TV only holds my attention for a bit, I get bored. Usually it is back ground noise as I do things. Even if watching tv I am chilling by typing on the forum. As long as all are behaving lol

I love reading, give me a good book and I can lose my self for hours. One thing I like about the smart phone I have tons of books downloaded on it. Read when waiting on docs, driving (well when hubby is driving) to the beach or other places. Also sitting on the beach.

Your pond is build is beautiful, wonderful, eye candy to the pond world.
My hat off to you .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow never realized it has been since 2014 I have added photos to this thread.

This is current ie today, via the cams, it is over 100 (heat index) again so not wandering the yard.

The deck ponds, small fishless, but do have frogs. The water is pumped up from the big pond and waters falls into the stream then waterfalls in to the big pond.
deck.JPG

dp.JPG

deck1.JPG

Hot tub pond

back yard.JPG

fan tail in the hot tub pond
Capture.JPG

hot tub lily
IMG_3423.jpg

View towards the house.

house view.JPG

The blue line is the stream path, about, filled in blue is the stream ponds.
Inkedhouse view_LI.jpg

yard1.JPG

Blue ponds, green bog
Inkedyard1_LI.jpg

pond 2019.JPG

lilies, current shots.

20190824_150026.jpg
20190824_143907.jpg
20190824_143818.jpg

1000 gallon pond water fall
Entering the pond
20190825_090649.jpg

constant visitor
IMG_3608.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if you look at the before and after photo it says exactly why i built a pond. grass/ a lawn is just that rather lame to sit and look at. But the pond streams waterfalls the plants the drift wood the fish now thats some SERIOUS R AND R .... ?< wishing he was addy's neighbor we could start a state park .. lol All your hard work has paid off it's stunning

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww thanks! Right now a bit over grown, but it all dies back in the winter!

I have never liked grass, most has been replaced by wildflower gardens. Bushes trees etc.

You can see the wild flower gardens, slowing not blooming, but all you see except the woods was grass. everything bee bug friendly
yard.JPG
yard2.JPG
yard3.JPG

Ask a Question