pond in progress started 4/21/10

Reaction score
Country
United States
I still feel right at home. My dad worked on cars. At one time I think we owned about 9, when he brought home the cadillac "hearst" actually an old ambulance, my mom almost left. He didn't want me to learn mechanical stuff but someone had to help him bleed brakes and rewire the 1969 Toronado with a 1967 harness after the original harness caught fire and every one in the junkyard had also burned up. so I learned a lot. Confidence is a big thing.

I moved to Texas at 17, bought this fixer upper in 2001, and I really enjoy it. I wanted a pier and beam. I wanted to move out of the city, husband didn't, I gave him the house in exchange for a divorce. I don't regret it. I still live in city limits, different city, but more land, less house, less neighbors. Youngest daughter moved back to his house in 2004 and that hurt, but we have a good relationship and she moved the mortgage and deed to her name this past year.

L

Lin

Using carpet pad for underlayment, the liner requires only raked dirt, but we have too many rocks. Best tool to have for this project a laser level.

The pond has water! of course we knocked over a bucket of rocks into the water, that were dirty, oh well.
HAHAHA! OH the trials and tribulations of your paradise Pond Journey! LOVE it. I lined my Pond with 4 inches of newspaper and was I ever surprised to find it to be a breeding ground for RED WORMS. They crawl out from under the liner,over the side into the waiting mouths of many a Koi. No wonder my Koi think I am a Goddess.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I ended up with this display, seen from the house. Just love the smell of all of those lilies, so sweet!
IMG_4894.jpg
IMG_4897.jpg

Love the lotus, but the flowers only last one day before they fall apart
IMG_4896.jpg

This is the hummingbirds favorite plant, I have it wild growing everywhere. Spreads by seeds.

IMG_4895.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would love to see a hummingbird by our pond. I'm in jersey and have never seen one here. What is the plant called that your hummingbirds like?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let me find the name, it starts with a C I think.

Crocosmia aurea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would love to see a hummingbird by our pond. I'm in jersey and have never seen one here. What is the plant called that your hummingbirds like?
Yup - Crocosmia. And if you ever want any, I will more than happily send you some. OR... you can take a field trip down to us here in northwestern NC & dig up as much of the stuff as you want to haul away! OMG! This is one plant I have a serious love-hate relationship with.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah yes Crocosmia, I remember it well! I had it in a flower bed and it went too nuts taking over for me! The hummers did love it.

L

Lin

I ended up with this display, seen from the house. Just love the smell of all of those lilies, so sweet!
View attachment 131275View attachment 131278
Love the lotus, but the flowers only last one day before they fall apart
View attachment 131277

This is the hummingbirds favorite plant, I have it wild growing everywhere. Spreads by seeds.

View attachment 131276
I just LOVE your Pond. I can't understand why your Lotus Bloom doesn't last longer than a day. Mine take 2 weeks to form the flower and the flower last a month

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine take 2 weeks to form the flower and the flower last a month
Mine have never lasted more than a few days, one day open, next day wide open, third day petals falling off. The one to the left will lose all the petals today, it opened two days ago.
The new opened one is my pink edged lotus.
IMG_4905.jpg

IMG_4904.jpg

L

Lin

It' a Mystery! There has to be a reason. Your Lotus look just like mine and there is only one strain of Sacred Lotus and they are very revered throughout the Orient. They smell just like baby powder to me.

Ask a Question