Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, I have to ask about your photo, Mitch! That looks like a small hawk or falcon in the window, just above the red flower! And, then I see the birds on the bird feeder to the left of the flying bird. I just wondered if he was swooping in on an easy meal? Wondered if you noticed that ....
Back to your aquaponics system, how exactly does it work? Will you have fish in the aquarium, and plants in the top trays, and sumps (pumps?) in the bottom ones? I'm always fascinated by the systems people fix up and grow plants in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
CE, that bird shape is a sticker I put there that is supposed to prevent birds from flying into the glass. It doesn't work very well, I'm afraid. Birds were still flying into the glass after visiting the feeder.
What did finally work was to put lots of plants on the inside shelf. The aquaponic plantings should help there too.

The aquaponic system is basically a populated fish tank that has the fish water pumped directly into the top media beds and that in turn feeds the plants that will grow there. The top media beds are 12" deep, filled with a product that is made from expanded clay pebbles that don't break down when wet. The water is then returned to the fish tank after feeding the plants and processed by the bacteria living in the media beds. The water is fully filtered at that point.
The lower sumps provide a buffer for the water level because the water is constantly filling and emptying from the top media beds.
I could purchase an edible fish like talapia or trout, then I would harvest and eat those fish at maturity then add new young ones but water temperature could be a problem, so I'm going to run it first to see how easy it is to control water temperature.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I picked up the stickers, put them on all of our windows, the birds every now and then fly into the windows, usually just a glancing blow, the stickers seem to be working. They say to have a sticker for every 3 feet of window. I have had to save a few, bring them in , let them rest, then they take off. I put them into a brown paper bag to keep them quiet and calm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, neat idea about the sticker, and glad you didn't catch a photo of a predatory bird getting ready to have a snack from your bird feeder birds! Neat idea, Addy, the brown paper bag to let them rest.
Once there was a hummingbird that got into big shed. They don't know to fly down to get back out, go up and into the ceiling. It finally wore it'self out and fell to the ground. I scooped it up, and took it into the house to get some sugar water to feed to it to get it's energy back. Put the sweetened water in a milk jug cap, tapped it's little beak down to find it, and that sucker drank and drank ... and then promptly took out in our house ... with cathedral ceiling! Shut off the fan, and watched it finally run out of gas and land on the floor. Gently picked it up, along with the sugar water, but this time I didn't let it sit freely on my hand until I was outside. Again, offered the water, which it drank, and then it flew away. What fun!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a neat story CE! Amazed that it would let you feed it like that. Guess it figured it had better stay close to you or die. Love those little hummers and they are starting to come to my feeder now. I only see one at a time so don't know if it's just one coming or they are taking turns. They seem to be very territorial.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Cool thread, Mitch!
JW, did you know that if a hummingbird gets inside a garage or house, they don't know how to get out? They fly up, which leads them to the ceiling, and they will eventually fall from exhaustion to the floor. Most often they are fine, just totally worn out. That little bird was so tired, he could not have flown away. And, he didn't know the sugar water was there until I tipped his beak into it. Man, did he go at it then. They say a hummingbird uses up lots of it's energy flying, that's why they have to come often to replenish their energy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks CE. :)

Looks like the moose visited the pond again last night. I saw fresh hoofprints in the mud leading up to the pond.
I better get out and spray the repellent around soon. Bears are starting to wake up and I don't want to attract them if at all possible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I know. I'm really not looking forward to the prospect of putting up a fence. Barking dogs don't bother the moose at all either.
Bears are a concern, no doubt. We lost one of our dogs last fall to a bear or cougar, just 80 yards from our front door. I keep a much tighter leash on them now.
Our new puppy is also named Bear, BTW.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Do you see my Bear too!! He is in my avatar! Bear must be a good name for puppies.

It is terrible to have a much loved dog lost in such a horrible manner, so close to home too! I think I would invest in a big strong solid fence and maybe a trip wire on the outside perimeter of your property that could sound an alarm and maybe a nice rifle with a scope.....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes, I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

Here is our Bear, plus eating along side our other adult dog, Mykka:

DSCN0236.JPG

DSCN0240.JPG

I have thought of getting a rifle, but I wonder how realistic that would be. Something bad could happen very fast and there might not be time to aim. I do carry bear spray with me when out in the forest.

Ask a Question