Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Right, I just didn't want to cause too large of a temperature swing too quickly.
Maybe I will switch the powerhead for a larger pump in a day or two to aid in melting the ice faster.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I did add the larger pump, and it looks like it's making a difference.
There is a second open water area opening up and the bottom water temperature is staying at 35.2F. Ambient air temperature has been hovering above and below freezing for the past week.
Also, even though the heater has been plugged in the whole time, about 75% of the heater is frozen in place.
2013-02-11 11.04.09.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you have a lot of foam around the heater I had that in my stock tank and it tested at bad levels .So may want to test your pond water .I had 2 fish in the stock tank and they were babies and took them out and put them in the pond .The foam made me wonder since I did not see it around the pond heater .It was green and brown foam .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Nitrate and nitrite and ph were bad .The colors were so off I did not even have the color on the card .I took the fish out and they were just to small babies and put them in a tank with my pond water and then put them in the pond .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My heater looks like that too when the water is flowing, it is because the water is circulating and the warm water is being pushed away from the heater to more evenly heat the whole pond. Not to worry Mitch! All is good, air holes are opening in other areas as the pond is better heated now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi Colleen, yes, open water is best now. I've had ice cover to a large degree since October.
I've tested my water, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, PH 7.5. The foam is puzzling. It's a very fine, dry foam.
If this was my saltwater tank, it almost resembles the skimmate from the protein skimmer.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I don't think the foam is anything to worry about if there is only a very little. Natural streams in nature have foam too every so offen, I think the foam can also be due to the soft water. Have you been able to see any fish in that big giant pond yet?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No fish sightings yet, Colleen.
The bottom water is 3 degrees warmer than the surface water right now, so I don't really expect to see them until the water temperatures equalize.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We've had a cool wind during the night, so the pond is 99% iced over again. Maybe a 6" hole is the only open water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Temperature today got up to +8.3C/+47F today with a warm wind.
Things are looking much better. I went out to pull the pump to check on it and heard a great big KEEE-RACK!....... :ugh:
I guess the ice isn't 8" thick any more, lol.
2013-02-12 13.45.38.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm sure glad to see more open water for you. I'm still so shocked that our temps have been so warm here. I've unplugged all the heaters (last weekend) and today unplugged the air and water bubblers that have been going non-stop for the last 2 months or so. Everything is much "calmer" looking, without that ferocious bubbling causing the water to be boiling. The koi even came out to see what was different. I think they much prefer the less movement of the water. Could almost county all the goldfish, too, although some were still hiding under the "garages", upside down stackable shelf units I use to put the pump, lily pots, etc. on to keep them off the bottom of the ponds. Koi really like hiding in there, too. I do believe that all 20 or so fish in the koi pond, including 4 that are 8-10" long, were hiding inside the two garages in there. Not sure whose idea it was to use them, but my fish thank you!

Ask a Question