Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Looks like you had quite a snow storm in your avatar pic, Mitch. :razz: My sister from Wisconsin just asked if I had had any measurable snows yet this winter, and yes, but nothing needing to shovel. I did shovel off my deck both times, but only so the dogs would not drag the snow into the house. I think the most we got so far was maybe 3 or 4" snow. I'm getting a little concerned thinking of that phrase "global warming", as our last 2 winters have been VERY mild, and last 2 summers have been VERY hot! We're talking 90's throughout all of June, July and August, when just a few years ago, our normal highs were not in the 90's' until mid July! Last year, bad drought for huge portion of the U.S. as well. But, right now, I'm loving these warmer than normal days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
CE, yes, that's a picture of the greenhouse that's attached to the workshop, after a fresh snow. We usually get a few 1 foot snowfalls here each winter, but we've gotten off easy this year.
Climate change is happening - always has, always will. :wink:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wish it would change here................we are always the same,wet,wet,and more wet! I could use some of the global warming/drying right about now :razz:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, climate is constantly changing that why global warming not really believed by lots of people. Greenland for instance is call Greenland cause it used to really be green, now is it just covered in snow and ice. We are having a very mild winter here too, but when I was a young child the 70's and early 80's, the winters were very mild. We do get extreme temperatures swings here so this winter is really not unusual. Oh ya, and Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue, threw the then open Arctic passage, which normally opens every few hundred years .......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yay, 1st day of spring...

2013-03-20 10.04.45.jpg

There are weights on top of the upside down flower pots that are protecting the underwater thermometers.
The weights prevent the wind from blowing the pots over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Heater and pump going.
We've had a couple of nights with a temp of -15c/5f plus a strong wind.
That cold temperature plus wind will ice it all over, no matter what I have going.
The water has had an open area of more than 6 feet across about a week ago, so I don't think what ice there is is all that thick.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Brrrrrrrrrr, makes me shiver looking at your frozen pond and all that snow :cold:
Glad your heater and pump are keeping everything from freezing solid!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes, good hear there is a little opening in the ice. I see you are at only 23 and here in Medicine Hat we are at 37 right now. Last night we were even warmer, close to 50 and we even had rain! Plus you have such a large volume of water on the North side of the house, so heater won't be as effective like heating my much smaller pond. I noticed that I now have spring bulbs up on the east and south side of house and the frost is totally out of the ground here now. Have you got any spring bulbs up yet?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No bulbs here for a while yet, Colleen. Here is our front yard this morning

2013-03-23 07.53.57.jpg

Without wind, an open area has opened up on the pond now
Bottom water temp is remaining pretty constant, around 36F

2013-03-23 07.54.41.jpg

On a much warmer note, the aloe vera in the greenhouse has been blooming for a few weeks now
The temperature in the greenhouse has already once reached 42C/107F!!

2013-03-23 07.53.16.jpg
2013-03-05 10.31.38.jpg2013-03-05 10.31.49.jpg

Ask a Question