Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
sissy said:
not here people are desperate for money and since they owe back taxes and can't pay the land is sold .Just like houses here
Sad ... I know real estate prices vary, but I could buy FIFTY acres in your town, for the same price I can get half to three quarters of an acre here!!!

I'd love to get my hands on this parcel!!! http://www.homes.com/listing/183370277/841_Whispering_Pines_Rd_AXTON_VA_24054

Here's the ONLY two lots for sale in my town ... http://www.homes.com/listing/172461508/481_Depot_St_DENNIS_PORT_MA_02639 http://www.homes.com/listing/179151289/232_Upper_County_Rd_DENNIS_PORT_MA_02639

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Just had my first fish sighting! :)

One of the shubunkins was at the surface, in about four inches of water, between the plant shelf and the surface of the water in full sun. He was having difficulty swimming, but I attribute that to maybe coming out of the winter stupor...? Does that sound right?

I went to grab a camera to take a movie of his movements, but as I came back he just swam normally back down to the depths.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do you have some air stones going in there for them in case they need a bit more of it being under that ice for awhile? Think you said you got them going again right? Where there is life there is hope :razz:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes, air stones are going.
I thought that maybe after I made a change to where the pump was pointing that it had just dislodged a dead fish body to land itself onto the plant shelf - but when I approached the fish that was laying on its' side it struggled to swim away. By the time I got back with a camera, it swam normally and back down out of sight.

Bottom water temp has risen a bit as well. To 37.7F.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like they are alive and just feeling the cold. Things will hopefully continue to warm up soon for you and fish will get their metabolism's working so they can start to feast and live long and prosper :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Mitch, when it was colder here, I saw one of my fantails on the bottom, I was sure it was dead, seemed to be on it's side. It wasn't. It was evidently feeding from the bottom, or rooting around. I saw it again this evening, swimming just fine. I think they sometimes try to swim off as normal, and the cold temps maybe shut them down! Bet it will be just fine. Keep us posted! I figure he was enjoying the warmth of the sunshine, maybe rolling on it's side to enjoy it on all sides. :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
capewind said:
Sad ... I know real estate prices vary, but I could buy FIFTY acres in your town, for the same price I can get half to three quarters of an acre here!!!

I'd love to get my hands on this parcel!!! http://www.homes.com/listing/183370277/841_Whispering_Pines_Rd_AXTON_VA_24054

Here's the ONLY two lots for sale in my town ... http://www.homes.com/listing/172461508/481_Depot_St_DENNIS_PORT_MA_02639 http://www.homes.com/listing/179151289/232_Upper_County_Rd_DENNIS_PORT_MA_02639
nice but the property is not selling because they have perk problems there and septic tank has to be special .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nicer properties near pittsville Va like Bedford near the lake .Gretna ,Chatham , Collinsville ,Stuart and lots more areas .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my house in NJ I sold for just over 500 thousand dollars and this house cost 89 thousand and only owed less than 50 thousand on that house .I kept the mortgage on it for the tax break .No jobs here so no mortgage companies want to take the risk unless you have a hefty down payment .Mitch pretty soon your fish will be out making babies .

Reaction score
sissy said:
nice but the property is not selling because they have perk problems there and septic tank has to be special .
If they have perk problems, I am guessing it to require a shallow system with an over dig. That is common here since we are at sea level. The new septic we put in in 2007 was $30,000 because of a shallow design and needing to do an over dig (backfilled with 40 tons of sand) ... damn code changes. A new septic should have cost us $12,000.

Reaction score
MitchM said:
Thanks guys. Not seeing my fish for 5 months is a little unnerving... :razz:
I am very happy to be seeing ours up and moving. In the bigger pond, I could see them, but they all looked dead for the most part ... the upper pond, they all went MISSING ... SOOOO nice to know they are still there.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Mitch my bottom pond is only two feet deep and that pond gets lots of ice, and it is the last pond to defrost, yet somehow the goldfish do just fine under the ice that was froze for so long, I noticed I could see a orange glow thru the ice where all the gold fish were wintering last week when there was still thin ice. After the last ice melted from that pond a few days sgo, I noticed the goldfish were all huddled together in this large mat of hornwort. The hornwort had been patted down like deer would do in the bushes in the grass. The fish had made themselves a little nest in the thick mat of hornwort, which I thought was pretty cool!

Your pond will defrost too in the next week or so and I think you should see all the rest of the fish then!

Bottom pond when it was still froze last week, to today .... :)

Attachments

• IMAG4929.jpg
    IMAG4929.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMAG5740.jpg
    IMAG5740.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMAG5973.jpg
    IMAG5973.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMAG5967.jpg
    IMAG5967.jpg