Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I think if someone has a practical use for a large greenhouse plus the water and electricity to properly run it then it could be a good buy, otherwise it will just turn into an eyesore that someone regrets buying.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It goes up for auction tuesday and will go just to see .I went to the house auction just to see what it would go for and was amazed so little the house was never lived in and was put up the same year as mine .Never understood it .They just sold land near here for 500 dollars an acre .I paid 5 thousand an acre .I guess they bought it with intentions to have get paid to have it forested .They cut down so many trees here and strip the land and leave the mess behind .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That used to happen around here. Land was being bought up for much less than the price of the harvested trees. Our 1/4 section was logged about 40 years ago. It's grown back quite a bit.
Landowners have caught on and don't let it go for so cheap anymore.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not here people are desperate for money and since they owe back taxes and can't pay the land is sold .Just like houses here

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The whole worlds economy going down in a bad way, money does not exist since they did away with the gold standard years ago, and printing money just makes things worse. Here in sunny Medicine Hat all is not well either. Half of down town looks closed, and people struggle everywhere. Where I work it's cut hours and work harder, same all over town. Good jobs are leaving town, last month the mill behind my house said they would be closed by May, that puts a couple hundred people out of real good paying jobs, then last week Halliburton said they were leaving town by end of month, move to Saskatchewan or lose your good paying job! My good friend her hubby works there and they don't want to move, so he will have a hard time finding another job that pays that well!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I agree, Colleen.
This whole thing happening with Cyprus is a good time to point out to people that when you put your money in a bank, what you are really doing is loaning your money to the bank. The bank is a business and if it is not being run properly, you could lose what money you loaned them. Banks need your money so they can turn around and legally loan out 20 times what you deposited with them.
With a properly run country, the government is able to insure your deposit against the bank going broke, but with Cyprus the whole country's GDP isn't big enough to cover the deposits in Cyprus' banks. Now the depositors are going to lose some of their deposits.
Ever since we went off the gold standard the world's economy has been growing off the abuse of credit. We are now reaching a point where more money has been loaned out that can ever be paid back.
Many people and countries are going to have to take a loss and what's happening now is big money shuffling around, countries coming up with new rules to try to minimize their losses as much as possible.
Things will really start to fall apart when the poorer people decide that they're not going to take it any more.
The smartest thing any of us can do is to reduce our debt as much as possible.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I see it here and yet they keep having babies .I see it all over here 18 and 19 year olds with 2 or 3 babies and complaining about welfare does not give them enough money ,well guess what welfare is not there for a job .Funny thing is they still buy there beer .I know when the Edison truck plant closed it hurt the economy bad there .A lot of people employed by them making good money .It would not this way if people were not having so many children and thought a job was having babies and doing drugs .To many people and to few jobs .It needed to stop a long time ago no one paid me to have children .What uncle sam gave me back each year was not enough to feed a dog .Hard work for younger people these days is partying until they drop .They need more guidance than there parents gave them .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Ice has been receding with the recent 2 day heat wave of 8C/46F. Bottom water temperature is 37.4F
The ice has cleared from the air bubbler lines, so I got the 4 airstones going again.
No signs of the fish yet, but when the ice had cleared away enough, I noticed that the pump at the bottom of the pond was basically pointing at the closest wall, about 6 inches away,...

Attachments

• 2013-03-28 17.02.38.jpg
    2013-03-28 17.02.38.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 288

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Jeeze, now that the snow and ice are melting, you can see how huge that pond really is! The fish could be hiding still, as some of my fish are still trying to hide but a few are starting to move about now that the last of the ice is off the bottom pond.

I would be willing to bet that most of your fish will be fine as your pond is just so large! :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hoping they are just fine and dandy! Mine are running all around now enjoying the warmer temps. It's 63F right now and I couldn't be happier.............well I guess 80F would really make me happier but 60's will do for now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, until the ice is gone, water warms up some, and you have a nice sunny day, the fish will be hiding. I have "garages" (upside down shelves that the plant pots are on) that the fish hide in. I can see EVERYTHING in my ponds right now, no lilies to block the views, and one day I will see 20 fish, the next day none. They hide in the garages. Same with the goldfish. Today, sun out and shining and warmer, all the fish were out. Could count almost each and every one of them. Tomorrow, if it got cold again, they would all be hidden. So, no worries, in your humongous pond, they are certainly hiding until the weather is nicer for them to move around.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Finally this evening the fish crept out of their hiding and were exploring the whole pond again, like they just now woke up after their long winter nap. It was nice to see them out and about. Today was the first time this year that they were actually all out of hiding and swimming about. The very last little bit of ice melted away off the shaded side of the marsh from the bottom pond today. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My koi pond has not had any ice on it for I think almost a month now, and they still hide when it's cold. This weekend I'm going to get the line hooked up to the Skippy again, as it's right now just pushing water from the bottom of the waterfall over the edge. I know with the air temps getting up to close to or above 60 this weekend, everything is going to come alive, including algae! Will try to keep that under control this year until plants start growing well. Oh ... I may just be pulling lily pots and separating them as well, so may be calling upon those who are interested in some starts or different colors, as I pretty much marked them last year as to color. Woohoo, sounds like a fun weekend for me!!! Better stock up on kitty litter, and may even have to pull some more river rock out of my driveway to put on top of the pots. Oh, Spring, I sure hope you're here to stay this time .... :yellowbounce: :sun_smiley: :yellowbounce:

Ask a Question