Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Elk calls can be heard from a couple of miles away.
White tail deer can make a screaming noise through their nose, but can be heard from maybe a few hundred yards.
The air is dead calm here this morning.
Too bad you folks can't be here to hear this.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do they make that noise at night also . It is worse than the cows on the farm by me .You would really have to have great insulation with a sound barrier .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Do they make that noise at night also . It is worse than the cows on the farm by me .You would really have to have great insulation with a sound barrier .

No, only the morning. On our way into town yesterday, we saw the elk herd in a clearing, made up of about 30 elk.
I built our home out of SIP's (Structural Insulated Panels), which are very soundproof.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There is a sips manufacturer here that i am friends with ,he had bought up land to build sips homes here but people seem to not care about energy savings here they would rather build crap ..At the time i was ready for my house he was in NC with his company and I did not know him .But my house is built out of 2x6's and has sound board outside and inside .Biggest thing I found is that I miss the sound of rain .Only time i hear it is when it hits the metal chimney pipe .I had time constraints as my house in NJ sold the first week i put it on the market and i was not prepared for that .I had the land here but other house fell through being built .It was just over 3000 sq. ft and builder I found had never built a house that big and got scared .Don't know why since it was a ranch also.Maybe my design scared him .;) .Plus he said there was no way he could get it done in time .I gave him all the floor plan specs and basement specs .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I like trying new construction methods, and help out here is hard to find.
This sips structure was fun to build.
I put on a metal roof here, but with no attic, the rain sometimes drowns out the tv.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I need to get busy in my greenhouse soon just in case winter does come this year. I am really starting to think winter is not coming. Now my irises are going to bloom! Crazy plants. I also noticed how nice and green the grass was today while walking my dogs across the prairie this evening. The clover is blooming still and it looks more like spring and greener than its been all spring and summer.
I think it will be very mild Mitch, and that would be really nice if just one year we could have a winter like Sissy's !!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He owns sips of America in Blairs virginia .I love the sound of rain on a metal roof .My parents house in PA has a metal roof .I am not to sure about my winter here colleen it has been a really strange summer .Nothing is growing like it should and now cooler than it should be this time of year

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I just took our dogs out for an off leash hike in our woods.
Our older dog, Mykka, found part of the front leg of cow.................lovely........

IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

Our younger dog, Bear, decided he needed a drink from the stream, but had to lay in it as well.................good thing my wife is in town today............

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

We also made our way to the natural pond, it's about 1.5 million gallons. Too bad there's no fish.

IMG_3267.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't know. Lou.
There used to be a family of beavers at this pond, but we had a family with a mobile home move in next door with their dogs and the beavers went away.
The family and their home has gone now so maybe I can get the county to relocate some beavers back there.

I contacted the local authorities to see if I could get some fish in there, but there's no legal route for me to do that.

Ask a Question