Pond Leak

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK All leak fixes in folds and rocks that also could be wicking will be done when the water worms up.
This is my plan. Empty the pond since all of the fish are dead and pressure wash the entire pond including the rocks.
Then i plan to fill the pond add anti chlorine and waite about 7 days before adding new fish.
Question: How should i quarantine new fish? Where should i buy the new fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear you lost your fish but what i would do is give your system a shot to see if it can compensate for the load/ being the fish death. One way to cycle a pond is to add something to bring the ammonia levels up and leave the pond be. see if it can generate the needed bacteria. you could add some nitrifying bacteria to the pond to give it a boost but generally that's needed in warmer waters. i should have added to remove the dead fish , which I'd bet is already done.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure i fully agree with that while you don't have to quarantine for fish to fish , you don't want to add anything into the pond you'll need to fight latter

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Empty the pond since all of the fish are dead and pressure wash the entire pond including the rocks.
I am not sure I would pressure wash the liner and rocks. That is where your good biofilm lives. If you do add fish slowly as you will be starting over with new pond syndrome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since i don't know what killed the fish i would like to start all over. I will add prime for the chlorine and add nitrifying bacteria for a good start and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just noticed how many brands of nitrifying bacteria there are. Can anyone suggest one for a 700 Gal pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just noticed how many brands of nitrifying bacteria there are. Can anyone suggest one for a 700 Gal pond?
I think temperature has an effect on colonization. If it's cold in your area, maybe wait until the Spring to get it jump started.

I never use any store bought bacteria. I let nature build up the beneficial bacteria. Personally, I think that's a waste of money, but that's my opinion, you do what you feel is right.

Hopefully others will chime in on the subject.

As long as you have all the parts of the puzzle in place, nature will take care of it.
Fish are part of that puzzle. The ammonia they excrete is needed, but you can mimic that by adding your own ammonia. I've never done that and have no idea how much you should add. Hopefully someone here can guide you on that too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I use (liquid) Microbe-lift pbl pro blend, alternated with (dry) PondBuilder's Muck Buster. Does it help? I think so - it definitely seems to help keep my water clear when it really starts heating up in the Summer. And, yes, I am very aware that many people think it's a waste of money & doesn't give any benefit. I believe it falls into the might help, can't hurt category, and I honestly believe I've noticed a difference. YMMV

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I use (liquid) Microbe-lift pbl pro blend, alternated with (dry) PondBuilder's Muck Buster. Does it help? I think so - it definitely seems to help keep my water clear when it really starts heating up in the Summer. And, yes, I am very aware that many people think it's a waste of money & doesn't give any benefit. I believe it falls into the might help, can't hurt category, and I honestly believe I've noticed a difference. YMMV
Yep, it's one of those things where everyone has their opinion. I respect that.
As I said, I don't use it, but as long as there's no harm done, do what you like.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
you don't want to add anything into the pond you'll need to fight latter

Are you talking parasites? That I could see. But to me, the complexity of quarantining a whole slew of new fish may be above the average garden pond keeper. I think I'd take my chances.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does ich,fungus and parasites all come from adding new fish? I got some on line and some from PetSmart.
I will start my journey tomorrow if it stops raining.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Does ich,fungus and parasites all come from adding new fish? I got some on line and some from PetSmart.
I will start my journey tomorrow if it stops raining.
Yes, Diseases originate from fish, but can contaminate a pond not just from adding infected fish, but from plants or decor from an infected tank, even migratory birds like ducks.

To be honest my bet is most ponds have some sort of disease in there, but keeping the water quality up and the fish healthy enables the fish to fight of most diseases.

I see minor stuff (looks mostly fungal) pop up on my fish occasionally, especially coming out of winter. Once the water warms up though they seem to fight off whatever is bothering them and are fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The first thing I would do is lift up perimeter rocks to make sure the liner hasn't sunken down somewhere.
Maybe soft soil, a heavy rock or some animal stepping on a rock caused the liner to sink down allowing water to escape.

Ask a Question