Pond Lights

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have solar powered path lights around the pond plant border, and also 3 underwater lights that shine up at the waterfalls. The underwater lights are on a timer so they do not run all night. I highly recommend lights since you can still enjoy your pond at night especially when you have hot summer days.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need to hook mine back up, got some real strong ones, after losing that fish I sort of undid them. But now with my netting they will be fine. It is nice to have a lit up pond, while you are awake lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
just put a 4 light set in mine.
0324142337.jpg
0324142334a.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So what type of submersible lights do people have? I have my pond lit up but they are not submersible.
I use some 24 LED Per Light sets I buy from E-bay, The one in the Picture is a 4 light set (I also have a set of 6) and the plexiglass front is rounded with no reflective panel behind or around the lights so they still have that "Spotlight" lighting but also light up everything around them as well. The 4 light unit is 10w and I only paid $30ish for them on Ebay with free shipping, I have had them for a couple of years now.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So what type of submersible lights do people have? I have my pond lit up but they are not submersible.
Mine was from Harbor Freight. It sends most of the light to the waterfall, but gives 90% of my pond a glow. I also have it pointing almost straight up. If I angled it across the water it would light up a lot more.
this is it but mine has a base filled with pea gravel. not sure if the one on the page does or not. Its the same brand though. $11.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-watt-submersible-spotlight-47604.html

The solar ones I have pointing to the pond and stream are those $5-8 spotlights that can be found at most stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
JB looks like i will have to use some of these for landscaping! Good Price and screw on top, some of the reviews stated the Rubber Seal wore out and water gets in, but nothing a little marine sealant can't fix ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The Power supply that the light strand plugs and screws into says it is 12v yours probably has a 2 prong plug like mine that plugs into the power supply?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Those two-prong plugs deteriorate over time with temperature changes/UV exposure. I never use them. You're better off cutting them off and then hardwiring it all together. It doesn't matter, it's all a continuous circuit and you'll have much better wire-to-wire contact with the hardwire method rather than trying to get those flimsy little metal prongs through the main feed wire casing. Electrical tape or heat-shrink tubing seals the connections nicely.

For added protection of the transformer unit, get yourself a good quality plastic box with a lid (hinged or not). Mount the plastic box to your substrate (deck post, fence post, whatever), cut a hole in the plastic box for the power cord and the 12V feed wire, then attach your transformer to the substrate (deck post, fence post, whatever) tinside the plastic box. Put the box cover back on and you've now protected your transformer from the weather.

When buying a 12V transformer, always buy more wattage than you think you'll need. Garden lights are generally around 7W apiece, with underwater lights and landscape uplighting being in the 20-30W range. Add up all the light totals, and then get yourself a transformer that's about 30% more than what you think you need. You won't regret it if you decide to add lights in the future because you'll have the excess capacity. The difference in 12V transformer prices (as far as total wattage goes) isn't a big issue.

As far as the underwater lights go, if water gets into the casing, the lights will still work, but the base of the MR12/16 bulb will deteriorate. Marine sealant is a bit of a pain when it comes to bulb replacement. It's for that reason that the LED lights are the way to go (longer "bulb" life). LEDs also have a much lower heat signature. Power consumption isn't an issue, it's a 12V low-wattage system.

I bought some lights a few years ago that were actual stones that had been drilled out, and had a 20W flood MR16 bulb in them. Can't find them any more, now all I can find are "resin" (read plastic...Yuck).

To convert existing 110V underwater lights (or garden lights for that matter) to low-wattage 12V system is relatively easy. Simply remove the existing wiring, replace with the 12V low-wattage feed wire and replace the bulb housing with 12V low-wattage sockets (you can get them pretty well anywhere). Underwater low-voltage lights don't have to be waterproof, but the bulb will last longer.

I've never liked solar light. It's a feeble light and the solar panels seem to deteriorate in the sun. I think that they're for people that can't be bothered, or are intimidated, by the prospects of wiring. I've always felt that they add an "amateurish" aspect to any landscape project. That's just me, to each their own.

Last edited:

Ask a Question