Pond Lights

Reaction score
Any suggestions?

Do the fish mind the lights? How do the fish look swimming at night? Is it worth putting lights in the pond? Or just around it shining down into the pond?

I'm just about to place an order on Amazon, so please please tell me about your lighting experiences.

Thanks!
Priscilla

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I too am interested in pond lighting. I've wondered if they prefer darkness at night, like we do? I love how pretty ponds look with lighting:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you use them, just remember you are lighting up someones night time snack. I would not leave them running all night. Put them on a timer.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Any suggestions?
Do the fish mind the lights? How do the fish look swimming at night? Is it worth putting lights in the pond? Or just around it shining down into the pond?a

I would definitely recommend getting some. Before we had them our pond wasn't worth sitting around after sunset, now it extends the daily value of it by another 4 hours.

I have both underwater and out of water lights that shine into the pond and on the rocks. I like having both because my underwater light has a green lens (it came with 4 colors and white), and it gives the whole water a green glow, and when the fish or frogs swim in front or over it, it looks really cool. The white on my Comets gets a green glow, or if their swimming behind it, you see a dark silhouette. My out-of-water solar lights light up the stones around the pond and the stream. The underwater light shuts off at midnight while the solar lights go as long as they can, usually to dawn.

Here's a video of it. Keep in mind my camera has a hard time with light. The green light has more of an even coloring across the pond, and the solar lights light up more of the rocks than the video shows. I also was using my headlamp for parts of this video.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I can't see your video JB. Is it me or can anyone else not see it? I have lights around the outside top of my pond cuz they went whacko and wouldn't work anymore underwater. Now they work fine out of the water. Like them on if I am sitting out there but I flick the switch off when I go inside.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can't see your video JB. Is it me or can anyone else not see it? I have lights around the outside top of my pond cuz they went whacko and wouldn't work anymore underwater. Now they work fine out of the water. Like them on if I am sitting out there but I flick the switch off when I go inside.
The video isn't working...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had submersible pond lights and they were a timer. They worked very well. When you think your pond is sparkling clean just turn on the lights to see how many little particles are suspended in your water.
I moved them out of the pond and now light up the waterfall and the landscape.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can't see your video JB
The video isn't working...

Weird. it doesn't load for me but its definitely linked right. maybe a problem on youtubes side. If you're getting the normal video box, you can view it by clicking the youtube logo on the bottom right. it'll send you to youtube though.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went there too JB and not working. Is it set to share w/ public?

yeah. probably youtube doing maintenance or something, because now it wont load where as it was just fine before.

long story short, yes get lights priscilla :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I use them and love them. I first got a set of two on one cord from the pond store for WAY too much money. Then I bought a set off Amazon for a much better price and like them as much. I have all running on a timer from dusk till 4 hours later. Mine only light up the waterfall so the fish still have hiding in the pond.

Here are the amazon ones I got. http://www.amazon.com/Submersible-U...30&sr=8-8&keywords=LED+6+Light+Pond+Light+Kit

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We also have both underwater lights and lights on our falls and a few accent plants around the perimeter. We love watching the fish at night. And bonus for the frogs - the lights around the pond attract lots of bugs. They all work "their spot" for several hours after dusk!

We do use a timer, but keep a few lights on all night for safety. We worry about a neighborhood kid or animal cutting through the yard and not being aware we have a pond, even though our yard is fenced on all sides - weird things happen.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I lost a long fin beautiful white gold fish, that loved to float right below the water surface. Over night it disappear. Back then I lit up the pond water at night. Think a owl came down and got it.

Now with the anti heron netting The fish are safer from the night predators.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have my garden lights and underwater lights on a timer, so they don't run all night. I generally have them come on at dusk and then off around 1:00am.

In early summer I've seen that mosquito larvae are attracted to the underwater lights and the fish make a meal of them. One minute there's a whole herd of larvae in front of the lights, then nothing as the fish suck them all in. Wait a minute of two, another whole herd of larvae in front of the lights, again the fish snarf them all.

If you're going to run underwater lights, I would suggest LEDs for the longer bulb life.

Ask a Question