do uv lights work on green ponds ?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
If you pond has had fish in it for less then 2 or 3 months it would be bad to do. Otherwise UV can clear a green pond.

I so not care for all in one solutions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
UV lights only control single-cell algae not stringy type algae. For stringy algae I use AlgaeFix in small doses and it does control the algae. I also have a filter with a built-in UV light but it is relatively new and too early to tell how well the UV light works but the filter works beautifully. The filter I currently use is:

http://lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/filters/pfilters1500.php?link=1531

My pond is small, 540 gallons...........Ralph

Reaction score
My UV light worked great to clean up green water. I have heard, as mentioned above, that it isn't good to use on a new pond. I'm not sure why. Possibly because the algae eat up the ammonia etc until the beneficial bacteria can build up?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
dieselplower said:
My UV light worked great to clean up green water. I have heard, as mentioned above, that it isn't good to use on a new pond. I'm not sure why. Possibly because the algae eat up the ammonia etc until the beneficial bacteria can build up?
It feels like I have said why maybe six times DP.and yes you have it right. Some fancy goldfish breeders use green water instead of bio filters. A partial water change is done when the algae reaches some density figured by sticking a ruler in the pond.

It seems reasonable to have a new pond slowly change from a green water pond to a bio filtered pond.

Reaction score
HTH said:
It feels like I have said why maybe six times DP.and yes you have it right. Some fancy goldfish breeders use green water instead of bio filters. A partial water change is done when the algae reaches some density figured by sticking a ruler in the pond.
Hey I guess you taught me then! Thanks!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
DP don't stick you neck out too far pushing that theory. As far as I know I am the only one suggesting it. But the logic seems sound.

Ask a Question