Pond liner attached to boulders

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Others have tried to seal a liner to rocks below the water line , have not heard of good results. I think his idea is to have the bottom of the rock below water.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Definitely not easy, but it could be done. Especially with a chain falls hoist, might take some creative thinking. I work with rocks this size and bigger just about everyday and have moved them With come-a-longs, chain falls, would definitely not get under it though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I can see why so many advise lifting the boulders but it’s where they are located that would make that a gargantuan, if not impossible, task. I would have to agree with poconojoe on this....build up the soil, cut out for the boulders and cover with rocks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the good ideas. For now, I plan to cut the liner around the rocks and hide it with smaller ones. Since I'm not going for a natural look, but a Japanese design, I should be able to ornamentally hide the liner edge with nice stone and plants. I'm expecting the kit to arrive today, so, more photos to follow. Thanks again to all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for all the good ideas. For now, I plan to cut the liner around the rocks and hide it with smaller ones. Since I'm not going for a natural look, but a Japanese design, I should be able to ornamentally hide the liner edge with nice stone and plants. I'm expecting the kit to arrive today, so, more photos to follow. Thanks again to all.
Just make sure the cut liner is significantly higher than the water level.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
There is a product call Rock on a Roll that you might try if you have trouble hiding the liner around the rock. Glue it on somehow and get some that's similar to the look of your rock in color. You could attach moss or plants to it perhaps. I have never used the stuff and not sure what it's capabilities are.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here is a video on someone who used rock on a roll. Looks like rock to me and looks like it is kinda pliable also for wrapping up against a big rock. You could cut it up in pieces to make it form around it better too.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just make sure the cut liner is significantly higher than the water level.
I would not even cut the liner until you have had the pond running for a bit. The pond seems to settle and eat up the liner edge like the pond is a liner muncher.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a video on someone who used rock on a roll. Looks like rock to me and looks like it is kinda pliable also for wrapping up against a big rock. You could cut it up in pieces to make it form around it better too.

I just ordered Rock on a Roll. Perfect solution. Thank you very much.

Ask a Question