POND LINER FITTING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello from England, formerly part of Europe! I am changing the liner in my formal pond as it leaks like a sieve. The reason is that I have two interconnected ponds, one lower than the other, so water is pumped from the lower pond to the larger upper pond which then returns to the lower pond via a waterfall which is presently an aluminium blade. The current pond liners have termination bars to hold the liner in place. The design flaw is that water in the upper pond spills over the top of the liner even after fitting a flow regulator and changing the pump to a less powerful unit.

The solution I came up with is to change the liner to one which wraps over the top edge of the pond and place coping stones to keep it in place.

The aim of relining is of course to eliminate leaks and the only area which concerns me is where the liner meets the aluminium blade. The current blade has screws in place to secure it to the pond wall and this area is always under water so there is the possibility of leaks. I was wondering how I could best fit a new blade so that the new liner is watertight where it meets the blade without using sealant or any screws. Possibly double sided very sticky waterproof tape?

Any comments most appreciate….

Attachments

• IMG_0267_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0267_Original.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very lovely pond!

Check out how the liner is installed for a skimmer - that might be helpful. (Lots of videos on YouTube cover this process.) You may need to formulate a second piece to sandwich the liner between, but it should work basically the same. Essentially it's a firm base, the liner, then the weir gets screwed into the base. You use silicone in between the layers to create a watertight seal.

Ask a Question