Pond liners, which to choose or avoid?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
assuming you can separate the facts from opinions and regurgitated urban myth from recollection.

And therein lies the rub! With the internet more than ever before people read it and think "well that MUST be true... I saw it in WRITING!" We see so many repeated "myths" here that it's almost easy to predict where they read it!

You're on the right path - lots of opinions and shared experience will generally filter down to good advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can't go wrong with 45 mil EPDM.
HDRPE is much lighter in weight, so shipping fees are much lower or sometimes free.
I'm in the USA and bought HDRPE for my bog build last year from American Talapia online. The price was much lower than EPDM and the shipping was free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
And therein lies the rub! With the internet more than ever before people read it and think "well that MUST be true... I saw it in WRITING!" We see so many repeated "myths" here that it's almost easy to predict where they read it!

You're on the right path - lots of opinions and shared experience will generally filter down to good advice.
Yep, gather all the info you can, then make your own personal decision. No group thinking.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep, gather all the info you can, then make your own personal decision. No group thinking.
For sure my bog filter idea was trashed when I started building the pond. Mainly told me IT WILL NOT WORK, well 10 years later still working.

Also told my rock wall would fall down (up slope side of the pond, 3 plus feet of rock dry stacked to hide the slope where I had to dig down to make a flat pond) Well it is still there in perfect condition............
I analyze what is typed, read a lot then make my own decision.

You want difference of opinions...............bee a bee keeper, everybody has their ways, thoughts, etc. Based around the base, a box of bees that love to sting and are fighting the epidemic of mites.

Ponds, based around the base, something that holds water and critters, fish frogs bugs etc. Same difference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
You can't go wrong with 45 mil EPDM.
HDRPE is much lighter in weight, so shipping fees are much lower or sometimes free.
I'm in the USA and bought HDRPE for my bog build last year from American Talapia online. The price was much lower than EPDM and the shipping was free.

yes, thats the conclusion I came to. shame about the HDRPE but such is...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom

that is so, so true. Theres a lovely article about it called "the gullibility virus." I haven't read it in a while but the lesson remains in all the decision making processes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
For sure my bog filter idea was trashed when I started building the pond. Mainly told me IT WILL NOT WORK, well 10 years later still working.

Also told my rock wall would fall down (up slope side of the pond, 3 plus feet of rock dry stacked to hide the slope where I had to dig down to make a flat pond) Well it is still there in perfect condition............
I analyze what is typed, read a lot then make my own decision.

You want difference of opinions...............bee a bee keeper, everybody has their ways, thoughts, etc. Based around the base, a box of bees that love to sting and are fighting the epidemic of mites.

Ponds, based around the base, something that holds water and critters, fish frogs bugs etc. Same difference.

Yes, I arrived on here with the Kockney koi 6 bay filter system firmly fixed in my mind, the budget and design. When the bog filter was suggested, it didn't take long to find out what it was, what it did, what benefits it had for me and what anecdotal evidence there was to support it. The main recommendation that swung it for me was that a long time user had perfected its operation... Nature.

(McLaren using it at their HQ building carried some weight too) :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
that is so, so true. Theres a lovely article about it called "the gullibility virus." I haven't read it in a while but the lesson remains in all the decision making processes.
this is why so many lies can be perpetrated as perception and so many believe them. Infested all parts of society, imo. The term 'lazy' is apt here for too many, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
from 1994,

Gullibility Virus
WASHINGTON, D.C.—The Institute for the Investigation of Irregular Internet Phenomena announced today that many Internet users are becoming infected by a new virus that causes them to believe without question every groundless story, legend, and dire warning that shows up in their Inbox or on their browser. The Gullibility Virus, as it is called, apparently makes people believe and forward copies of silly hoaxes relating to cookie recipes, E-Mail viruses, taxes on modems, and get-rich-quick schemes [perhaps conspiracy theories should be included here].
“These are not just readers of tabloids or people who buy lottery tickets based on fortune cookie numbers,” a spokesman said. “Most are otherwise normal people, who would laugh at the same stories if told to them by a stranger on a street corner.” However, once these same people become infected with the Gullibility Virus, they believe anything they read on the Internet.
“My immunity to tall tales and bizarre claims is all gone,” reported one weeping victim. “I believe every warning message and sick child story my friends forward to me, even though most of the messages are anonymous.”
Another victim, now in remission, added, “When I first heard about ‘Good Times,’ I just accepted it without question. After all, there were dozens of other recipients on the mail header, so I thought the virus must be true.” It was a long time, the victim said, before she could stand up at a Hoaxees Anonymous meeting and state, “My name is Jane, and I've been hoaxed.” Now, however, she is spreading the word. “Challenge and check whatever you read,” she says.
Internet users are urged to examine themselves for symptoms of the virus, which include the following:
  • the willingness to believe improbable stories without thinking
  • the urge to forward multiple copies of such stories to others
  • a lack of desire to take three minutes to check to see if a story is true
T. C. is an example of someone recently infected. He told one reporter, “I read on the Net that the major ingredient in almost all shampoos makes your hair fall out, so I've stopped using shampoo.” When told about the Gullibility Virus, T . C. said he would stop reading e-mail, so that he would not become infected. Anyone with symptoms like these is urged to seek help immediately. Experts recommend that at the first feelings of gullibility, Internet users rush to their favorite search engine and look up the item tempting them to thoughtless credence. Most hoaxes, legends, and tall tales have been widely discussed and exposed by the Internet community.

Ask a Question