Pond losing water

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ruben Miranda, thanks that is a great advice. But what is a decor and stress coat used for? If its some cleaning device, I already have beneficial bacteria for sludges. And would you recommend putting back the same water in the new pond from the barrel or should I fill the new pond with new water from the hose?
I think that's "dechlor" for dechlorinator -- what you add to the water if you have chlorine treated water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok I don't use any chemicals in the water. Its just hose water with beneficial bacteria added

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok I don't use any chemicals in the water. Its just hose water with beneficial bacteria added
Is it city water? Do you know what they use, like chlorine and chloramines? If so, then you need to be adding a dechlorinator whenever you add water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well I live in a wealthy community in the suburbs. I'm pretty sure the water is from a resevoir that is near our home. Its maintained by United water.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hi
If.you don't have clorine in your water then you should be fine.
The stress coat is what I like to use when having to move fish around
Or doing big water changes.
It really helps with stress on the fish.

Using the same water is also a good thing (unless that water is bad anyway)
1. Less shock to the fish
2. You won't induce a major cycle
3. You won't have a traumatic temperature change

The pond will go thru a cycle but by using as much of the pond water posiable and keeping your filter intact the cycle will not be big and will recover quicker.

After a few days do a small water change maybe 10 % total volume
And a week or so after that (giving the new liner time to get some beneficial bactria built up. Clean your filter
Again your pond will cycle but it will be small and quick and with you fish load and pond size the fish won't even notice and will not get stressed.
At least imho is my recomendation and is.a.good route to go.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok Ruben Miranda, I am planning to put in a new liner in my existing pond sometime this week or next. So just to clarify from your ideas, I will be doing this:
Drain the water first by scooping water with a bucket and putting it in a separate barrel, and when the water becomes too shallow, I will start using the pond pump to drain the rest of the water into the barrel. Then I will get a disposable towel and wipe all the sludge and dirt/debris from the bottom of the pond. And while I am doing this, I will put the 4 fish in the smaller pond right next to it since that doesn't have any problems leaking(as you can see from my pic), and I will also put in my water lettuce into that smaller pond. Then I will wash the liner with the hose to just get some of the dust and stuff off. Then after I finish getting all the water into the barrel, I will now add the new liner into my existing pond. Then put those flat rocks on the edges of the pond to cover the liner. Then pour all the water from the barrel into the pond with the new liner installed in. Then return the fish and water lettuce into their original pond! Then I'll add my beneficial bacterias for cleaning. How does that sound?
Also I don't have a filter and never have used one all the 12 years we've had this pond, do I really need one? Also can I add pond rocks in my pond right away after I put my liner in? Do I have to wash the rocks off for dirt before that?

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hi
It all sounds good
1. Fill the new liner with pond water before adding the rock on the edge. As you fill it the liner will settle and pull up against the sides.
Once that is done you can add the flat rock around the edge.

Always wash off any thing you will put in the pond
Rocks , plants ,

As for a filter with your fish load and plants not really nessary as the liner and rocks will build up bennifial bacteria.
But if you had one
The pond would and should be cleaner and you would have a strong place for beneficial bacteria to grow.
And you would not have to add any.

Like I say
If your fish are doing well and you are happy with the way it looks
No reason to rock the boat. :)

Good luck
Let me,know how it goes
Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I finally got the time to drain all the water from the pond that was losing water. I found out a couple things. The water leak stopped 3/4 into the pond. So I checked and looked right above where the water stopped leaking and I do not see a single crack. Nothing. I even touched it with my fingers and I don't feel anything. What the heck is going on? If theres no crack then how can it be leaking? It also leaked at a pretty fast rate by the way.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hi
If you are sure the leak has to be around that area
Keep looking
With preformed it could be a very little crack but when you take water out releasing the pressure the crack would close up and vise a versa when you add water the pressure pushes on the crack and the leak starts again.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I actually looked very hard to the point my back started hurting. And I rubbed my finger all the way and did not feel a thing. And if I do somehow find the crack, can I put silicon paste on it to seal it? My dad recommended me that instead of buying a whole new liner and spending money on that

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hi
They do have some good under water caulking.
But with a preform and it flexing I would go with a liner patch.

But really I would still save the hassle and do a liner.
You go threw all the finding and guessing filling and still have a leak.
And even if you do find this leak, and this preforme being older could just crack again.

All that to save what $20.00 on a liner.

Ruben

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can understand your concern about not replacing the preformed but in the long run 10 years is about near the end of it's life .They can last longer but cold weather has an effect on it .You don't want winter to set in and regret not replacing it .It may be a long hard winter

Ask a Question