Pond Maintainence Problem

Reaction score
As Meyer said pump it out and leave just enough water for the fish. I would add get rid of a lot of the fish you have. Too many fish = a big problem.

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As Meyer said pump it out and leave just enough water for the fish. I would add get rid of a lot of the fish you have. Too many fish = a big problem.
why do say get rid of some fish ? how do you know its over stocked? just a point of interest can you tell me how much water my pond holds imperial gollons or litres my pond is approx 3mtrs diam with a ledge and 1 mtr at its deepest point it has sloping sides to the base which is about 1 mtr diam, have attatched a pic of the empty just dug hole,
the first pic shows the wall above ground level.
for a calculation many thanks. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

5th  with  the wall.jpg

pond build  first pic.jpg

5th  with  the wall.jpg

Last edited:

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Higher priced equipment will typically come with longer lasting components.
Metal gears vs plastic gears, higher quality control for electrical components, the shielding on the electrical cord will be designed to withstand UV light, be more flexible and withstand more temperature extremes.
That type of thing.
Ive had my submersible for 14 years now paid £39 still working. like new I could buy a new one every year for 10 years @ £30 a go to equall a £300 one

Reaction score
why do say get rid of some fish ? how do you know its over stocked? just a point of interest can you tell me how much water my pond holds imperial gollons or litres my pond is approx 3mtrs diam with a ledge and 1 mtr at its deepest point it has sloping sides to the base which is about 1 mtr diam, have attatched a pic of the empty just dug hole,
the first pic shows the wall above ground level.
for a calculation many thanks. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It looks like you have around 5058 litres. This is a rough estimate, the next time you fill it, time how long it takes to fill a bucket that you know the volume of. Then time how long it takes to fill the pond. Then do the math. As far as the fish IMHO 40 fish are too many no matter how big your pond is, Now that you are adding koi it will only get worse. I would reduce it down to 4 or 5 fish, but that's just me.

View attachment 100352

View attachment 100351

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

that doesn't seem many fish for over a 1110 gallons ! I have read 1" per gallon (imp) that equates to 1110, gallons = 1110 x 1" fish divide by 6" average length = 185 fish I know this sounds excessive but a lot more than 5 !!!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
One inch per gallon?? No way. You'd be able to walk on your water if you had that many fish in your pond. There are a number of "formulas" out there that people quote and use (and most are more like 3 or 5 inches per hundred gallons) but there's so much more to it than just a simple math equation. For example, the type of filtration you have will make a huge difference in the number of fish your pond can support,as will the type of fish. Koi produce more waste than goldfish ounce for ounce so the "inches per gallons" rule goes out the window there, too.

In my opinion, you SHOULD aim to have fewer fish in your pond than you CAN have. Your fish will reproduce, so what you have now will quickly grow in number. And while the math might tell you that your pond can support more fish than what you have, a fully stocked pond is more susceptible to trouble when even the smallest issue arises.

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One inch per gallon?? No way. You'd be able to walk on your water if you had that many fish in your pond. There are a number of "formulas" out there that people quote and use (and most are more like 3 or 5 inches per hundred gallons) but there's so much more to it than just a simple math equation. For example, the type of filtration you have will make a huge difference in the number of fish your pond can support,as will the type of fish. Koi produce more waste than goldfish ounce for ounce so the "inches per gallons" rule goes out the window there, too.

In my opinion, you SHOULD aim to have fewer fish in your pond than you CAN have. Your fish will reproduce, so what you have now will quickly grow in number. And while the math might tell you that your pond can support more fish than what you have, a fully stocked pond is more susceptible to trouble when even the smallest issue arises.
can i see your pond pics please

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just took my pump out for a general clean up and I never realized how small the motor was its the titan 3000 I've had it it years although it still pumps when I raised it up just below the surface (on the string) it didn't suck any of the cloudy water in the vicinity ! so I think its time to invest in a larger pump, now my pond has been estimated roughly as 1,110 imperial gallons 1 meter at the deepest point. bearing in mind I'm in the UK what would you suggest please ? many thanks

Reaction score
I have done, ive clicked on pics and albums dont see any thing !!!!!!
Same here, I see nothing. But I've had the same thing happen to photos is my album here. The moderators keep screwing around with the way the stored media links work and old threads that have pictures links in them no longer work. I've given up adding pictures to the albums here, better to use Photo Bucket or something more reliable and stable for holding pictures.

Ask a Question