Pond Maintainence Problem

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just took my pump out for a general clean up and I never realized how small the motor was its the titan 3000 I've had it it years although it still pumps when I raised it up just below the surface (on the string) it didn't suck any of the cloudy water in the vicinity ! so I think its time to invest in a larger pump, now my pond has been estimated roughly as 1,110 imperial gallons 1 meter at the deepest point. bearing in mind I'm in the UK what would you suggest please ? many thanks

I have just ordered this pump to feed my waterfall and two filter boxes via my 25 watt UV clarifier >>> cockney koi 6 kilo yamitsu 16000.
16000.PNG

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Update, Those of you who have been following my thread will know the efforts I have made to get my pond back to "clear water" well I'm still in the same boat, so far I have installed a 25 watt UV clarifier, much larger pump, doubled up on my filter system, treated with green away and sludge remover, partial change of water and vac pumped the bottom, the water that emerges from the filter when stored in a large container still has particles that settle to the bottom in 2 days leaving the water lovely and clear, but as soon as its agitated it clouds up, and that is what the effect the pump has in my pond, so I am of the belief that my liner maybe punctured at the bottom allowing mud and sludge to ingress, so the only way is to drain and investigate, but first I have a couple of questions,
Do I invest in a small paddling pool to save as much water as possible ?, or just save some and refill with treated water ?
I have quite a few oxygenater plants plus quite a large flowering water Lily, is the lily a good or bad thing to have with fish ? and lastly if I find a hole in the lining can it be repaired or do I have the expense of a new liner, my pond is approx 1,110 Imperial gallons, many thanks, Colin

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
so I am of the belief that my liner maybe punctured at the bottom allowing mud and sludge to ingress, so the only way is to drain and investigate, but first I have a couple of questions,
I would think if you have a hole letting dirt in your pond would not be holding water. Does it stay filled?

I have quite a few oxygenater plants plus quite a large flowering water Lily, is the lily a good or bad thing to have with fish ?
good thing, unless you have koi they tend to destroy them.

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would think if you have a hole letting dirt in your pond would not be holding water. Does it stay filled?
yes it stays filled because I noted that when I was building it when I got to a meter deep I hit the natural water level so the only way I would loose water was if the liner was damaged at a higher level, I only loose some due to evaporation in the summer ( ha ha I'm in England)

good thing, unless you have koi they tend to destroy them.
>>>>>>

I lost the last of my Koi last summer that's why I got despondent and let my pond get into a bad state, but over the years my Koi lived happily with all the pond vegetation

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The slower water goes into and out of the uv the better it will work .I slowed mine down by a ball valve but then decided to use a smaller pump I have

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have gone back to my smaller pump and put brand new foams in the two non UV light filters as i have a 25 watt UV clarifier, so I done an experiment, I left the pump off last night to allow the water to settle,
left (1) to right (4) one & two water from the pond first
thing. three & four straight from the filter after switching
the pump on . As you can see as soon as the water is disturbed it goes cloudy.
4x water clarity.jpg

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well here we are over a year later I did not get rid of any of my goldfish as they are still thriving and breeding , I think natural selection comes into the equation here , after giving my filters and pump a thorough cleansing a few months back the water is still clear and I've not had any algae since the introduction of my 25 watt uv, so I'm a happy bunny.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We need new pics .Had to laugh at the happy bunny part .Welcome back and glad you let us know you are still going strong and still ponding

Reaction score
You might also try adding a couple double doses of montmorillonite clay to your water. The stuff can work wonders for clearing and improving water quality. It's 100% natural and the fish love it.

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey thanks for you replies but i think I spoke too soon Just over a year ago I bought a new 24 watt UV clarifier, after noticing the water turning green I have found out the bulb has blown and I can't find a replacement, " 24 watt 2 pin " I have searched pond equipment companies, Ebay, Amazon, and search engines, the seller is no longer trading and there is no name on the clarifier, only on the lamp/bulb which is TEMPRO OR EMPRO ! a search of them does not bring any thing up, all the 24 watt bulbs advertised are 4 pin whereas mine is 2 pin, I don't know if the lamp holder can be modified in anyway to take the 4 pin bulbs . the clarifier is different to most others whereas the ballast unit is external in its own waterproof box with a cable leading to the screwed end cap on the clarifier

col_hf

few years ago
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
update, I saw a similar one advertised on a well-known auction site, so I messaged the seller and it turns out they are the earlier Jebao model and he can get the spare bulbs and 0 rings not cheap mind

Ask a Question