pond maintenance

Reaction score
How often should i clean my pond filters out and my waters gone really dirty from 85% visibility to 20% i have trees around my pond and leafs and stuff fall in and sink to the bottom i try to net most of the leafs out but some still sink is that the problem and should i buy a skimmer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
skimmers help, some like them some don't. I have always had skimmers, usually turn them on when stuff is falling like leaves blossoms.

Cleaning you filter depends on fast it gets dirty. Clean it every week, if it is still clean, go to every other week. Something you have to do based on your pond.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Ecko, what kind of pond do you have? How big? What kind of filter? How often do you change water? Any fish in pond? Lots of variables here. No matter what the answer is, though, it sounds really dirty.

If you could leave a few details, I'm sure someone would be happy to help you here.

Reaction score
You'd be amazed at how long your filters will go without needing to be cleaned out by supplementing with a microbial digester. One of our biggest koi clients (a breeder) uses our product and builds his own filters. He rarely has to clean his filters more than a few times per season.

That said, there is much to consider when targeting the source of the waste. Need to know more parameters before really making a suggestion. Pond volume? Algae present? Odors? Bottom Solids (depth)? Water clarity? Water source? pH baseline? Aerated? Type of filtration? Sterilization? Chemicals used? Fish stocking density?

Those answers will get us to the root of the problem.

Ask a Question