I really get into my pond maintenance

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Today I did a little maintenance in the pond :) All caught on my outdoor cameras. The fish think it is great fun when I am in there.

Channel02_20140716162135_454.jpg

Channel01_20140716153043_912.jpg

Channel01_20140716152829_019.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Rob if you go in w/ just your shorts the fish will pick at your legs..............feels really weird :)
Do you have a pond vac III or whatever they call them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Rob if you go in w/ just your shorts the fish will pick at your legs..............feels really weird :)
Do you have a pond vac III or whatever they call them?
Yes mine is the oase pondvac 3 there is a newer model now

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I never thought about jumping in to vacuum
My wife and I sucked ours out yesterday, taking advantage of the fall like weather

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love climbing into the pond. We built ours with a rudimentary stair-step design on one side to make it easier for us to get in and out. I go in in shorts, thug,h and the fish do poke and nibble at my legs. They are curious little creatures. And it's funny how some of them are really brave, while others keep their distance and just watch. But they all want to know what's going on. They each have their own personality!

Reaction score
I had just my feet in on the side and eventually the babies started nibbling at my toes, it's kinda cute :)

Nice.
My pond is too deep. 5 feet. No kids to hold by the ankles either.
Lol! I do, I wonder if that works if you dunk em enough! Ha!
Mitch have you seen unseasonably warm weather this year! Or is it about the same? We're having cooler weather I guess from a lo pressure system pushing down the mid-west. 77f in July! I'LL TAKE IT!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would love to use a vacuum but too many of the little critters will get sucked up and killed. Dragonfly larvae, baby trap door snails etc etc

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would love to use a vacuum but too many of the little critters will get sucked up and killed. Dragonfly larvae, baby trap door snails etc etc
That is the exact reason I go in. So I can move the hornwort etc. I stir things up with my feet so fry, tadpoles etc have time to go somewhere else. I am not saying nothing gets sucked up but I try to minimize the damage. If you look in the stream picture also there is an attachment that make the open very narrow and just on the bottom. If I went in with just the hose everything would get sucked up. You do make a great point with vacuums. I have the same feeling about bottom drains. I know even when I use just the net I get tadpoles etc that i have to take out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Every time I do anything there are lil critters, esp this time of year, all the tiny baby trap door snails, can't harm them . They are not fast enough to escape. Now if you could suck them up and sort them out without harm might consider one, but most likely not. They are so so tiny.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Mitch have you seen unseasonably warm weather this year! Or is it about the same? We're having cooler weather I guess from a lo pressure system pushing down the mid-west. 77f in July! I'LL TAKE IT!

Wendy, it's been about normal here temperature-wise. It's seems hotter here though, because we've had to keep our windows closed from all the fires north of us.

The midwest was going to have a cool down though because of your summer polar vortex:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...cking-summer-return-in-eastern-u-s-next-week/

Enjoy it while it's there!:)

Ask a Question