Pond Netting - 3 Questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I just had a Heron eat all my fish over the past 3 days. He flew away just as I got to the door this morning, but I was too late. I now no longer have any fish. I know a net is the best option for keeping them out, but I put off netting the pond for a couple of reasons. including that I've seen netted ponds and they never look good/natural to me.

Is there a way to net the pond and still:
1. My pond was overstocked so I netted out fish waste from the bottom of the pond every 2-3 days to keep the bio load down. I'll need a net that is easy to remove for cleaning every 2-3 days.
2. I have a lot of pond plants that grow in and around the pond edge. How I can I set up the net to be removed every 2-3 days w/o damaging my pond plants that grow up through it?
3. I want a solution that is not so ugly I start to hate the pond. I'm already pretty frustrated with it currently and very close to deciding to just fill it in and be done with it.

Link to pond build for an idea what it looks like:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a wide weave net over my ponds, ow fish are gone. The heron, without net, came every day.
The net is 3ish feet over the pond, on fence posts, draping down. I can work under it without issue.

Would I prefer no net, yep, do I want to keep the fish yep, so net it is.
I had a heron visit in Jan a few years back, a hole in the smaller pond net, forgot to net the hot tub pond. The heron wiped out the hot tub pond, took over 3/4 of the 1000 gallon ponds fish. I have it on film fishing in the big pond, very patient, very good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I have a wide weave net over my ponds, ow fish are gone. The heron, without net, came every day.
The net is 3ish feet over the pond, on fence posts, draping down. I can work under it without issue.

Would I prefer no net, yep, do I want to keep the fish yep, so net it is.
I had a heron visit in Jan a few years back, a hole in the smaller pond net, forgot to net the hot tub pond. The heron wiped out the hot tub pond, took over 3/4 of the 1000 gallon ponds fish. I have it on film fishing in the big pond, very patient, very good.

I would like to have a net held taught and flat over the pond. Can any one recommend:
1. Is there a way to secure the net to posts/anchors that won't sag and are easy to quickly attach and remove?
2. What is the correct height above the pond that will keep the heron from spearing the fish while standing on the net but not so high the heron can just go under it? sounds like 3 foot off the ground is ideal?
3. What size net squares/weave will allow things like dragonflies in/out, but keep the heron out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I liked the way we netted our pond. We built a " hoop house" of electrical conduit linked together over the pond and secured by placing the conduit openings over rebar we drove in the ground. We used a wide weave net from Memphis Net and honestly it wasn't very noticeable . Due to it's height over the pond, I could roll it back and clip it ( to keep it open ) and use our long handled pool net to scoop debris.

We spray painted the conduit black. I wonder if there is a green wide weave net? If so, you could spray paint the conduit green. Just a thought.

If you don't care for the look of a hoop house, you could sink 4x4 by 16 feet wooden posts in concrete and attach your net that way. We use that set up for our shade sails.

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2. What is the correct height above the pond that will keep the heron from spearing the fish while standing on the net but not so high the heron can just go under it? sounds like 3 foot off the ground is ideal?
3. What size net squares/weave will allow things like dragonflies in/out, but keep the heron out?
2. depends on the net weave, mine has 4 inch holes. I have it 2-3 feet over the pond, loose enough the heron can't stand on it. Draping down, other wise it will go under, contrary to belief a heron won't go under a net.

3. I like my 4 inch weave, it does not trap the frogs, toads, dragon flies, small birds. I started with a small weave net, until I found dead birds under it, they got trapped. And a net laying flat on the water interferes with my lilies and other plants growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I liked the way we netted our pond. We built a " hoop house" of electrical conduit linked together over the pond and secured by placing the conduit openings over rebar we drove in the ground. We used a wide weave net from Memphis Net and honestly it wasn't very noticeable . Due to it's height over the pond, I could roll it back and clip it ( to keep it open ) and use our long handled pool net to scoop debris.

We spray painted the conduit black. I wonder if there is a green wide weave net? If so, you could spray paint the conduit green. Just a thought.

If you don't care for the look of a hoop house, you could sink 4x4 by 16 feet wooden posts in concrete and attach your net that way. We use that set up for our shade sails.
Do you happen to have a picture of this setup? Specifically how you attach/detach the net to the structure and the overall look of it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
2. depends on the net weave, mine has 4 inch holes. I have it 2-3 feet over the pond, loose enough the heron can't stand on it. Draping down, other wise it will go under, contrary to belief a heron won't go under a net.

3. I like my 4 inch weave, it does not trap the frogs, toads, dragon flies, small birds. I started with a small weave net, until I found dead birds under it, they got trapped. And a net laying flat on the water interferes with my lilies and other plants growing.
I was worried that the heron would just stick their head through the net with a weave anything bigger than 2", but if not I really like the idea of a larger weave. Do you have any pictures or could you please provide a description of how you supported the net 2-3 feet above the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have any pictures or could you please provide a description of how you supported the net 2-3 feet above the pond?
No decent pictures summer can't see the net, this time of year the pond is a mess, been working on it off and on. Here is a summer picture you can see the net and the posts holding it far end.
DSC08096.JPG

I ordered the net with a rope wove through the edge, about 18 inches in, the rope helps it keep shape. I have fence posts in each corner. The net is strung between the fence posts, tightly. From the rope down I have some net hanging which discourages the heron from ducking under. The net is not tought enough for the heron to land on it and attempt to strike though. It needs a good area to strike with no obstruction ie the net. Even if it gets its head through it can't do that fast fish catching strike.

My pond is on a slope, the upside edge of the pond is below ground level, dug down 4 feet to make a level spot, the low side is built up with a dirt berm. Irregular shape, 27 feet long. The net on the upside lays on the ground, down side held up by the fence posts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
No decent pictures summer can't see the net, this time of year the pond is a mess, been working on it off and on. Here is a summer picture you can see the net and the posts holding it far end. View attachment 156273

I ordered the net with a rope wove through the edge, about 18 inches in, the rope helps it keep shape. I have fence posts in each corner. The net is strung between the fence posts, tightly. From the rope down I have some net hanging which discourages the heron from ducking under. The net is not tought enough for the heron to land on it and attempt to strike though. It needs a good area to strike with no obstruction ie the net. Even if it gets its head through it can't do that fast fish catching strike.

My pond is on a slope, the upside edge of the pond is below ground level, dug down 4 feet to make a level spot, the low side is built up with a dirt berm. Irregular shape, 27 feet long. The net on the upside lays on the ground, down side held up by the fence posts.

I also opted to go with the post and net with rope wove through the edge. I'm using the wider weave you recommended as well. How far into the ground did you hammer the fence posts? I found some nice powder coated 3ft poles and I'm wondering if putting them 1ft into the ground will be deep enough to support the net. I plan to have a post about ever 5 ft so I'm thinking it'll be fine, but thought you might have some 1st hand experience already so it couldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Not sure what the posting rules are for venders, but I found a great company. USA based and USA manufactured nylon nets. You can custom order the weave size and size of the net. I called back about an hour after ordering to increase the size about 2' and a real human answered the phone. No automation or hold music. They even increased the net size for no charge and shipped the same day. Super impressed with the customer service and options. If anyone is interested in the company name let me know... happy to share.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure what the posting rules are for venders, but I found a great company. USA based and USA manufactured nylon nets. You can custom order the weave size and size of the net. I called back about an hour after ordering to increase the size about 2' and a real human answered the phone. No automation or hold music. They even increased the net size for no charge and shipped the same day. Super impressed with the customer service and options. If anyone is interested in the company name let me know... happy to share.
Fill free to post about the net vendor, no issue.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found some nice power coated 3ft poles and I'm wondering if putting them 1ft into the ground will be deep enough to support the net. I plan to have a post about ever 5 ft so I'm thinking it'll be fine, but thought you might have some 1st hand experience already so it couldn't hurt to ask.
My post are about 8-12 inches in the ground, one needs a repounding. The bog side I have some fiberglass rods, skinny things, stuck in the pea gravel to help keep the net along the bog edge. Metal won't work, always wet.

The only really well secured posts are the 4 corners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Here is a partial picture of the net over the painted conduit. I will look for more pictures. I highly recommend Memphis Net, great people and product!

Attachments

• IMG_4799.jpeg
    IMG_4799.jpeg
    357.4 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I opted to go with posts that have hooks attached to the top. I'm using a wide 4" weave net so I don't trap other critters with it and also make it easier to see through it. I plan to suspending it 2' above the pond. Since the heron's reach is 2' I think I should be safe with this approach. I'm considering rebuilding the pond since I'm completely wiped out of my fish stock so TBD on that front, but either way I'm going to net it. Will try to remember to post here with final pictures when I have them. If anyone is looking for a custom net the vendor I used was "Gourock". They are USA based and manufactured; you can order custom sizes and weaves, super fast shipping, and fantastic customer service. I just wanted to give them a shout because I was really impressed with them which is rare these days. Thank you all of your input and advice!!!

Ask a Question