pond newbi,

Reaction score
hi after 10 years of keeping tropical fish. and 4 years of marine i've decided to give a outdoor pond a go. so hired a mini digger and after about 8 hours digging i had a 13ft x 12ft x 4ft hole in my garden. now i also have 3 young daughters 6, 4 and 1 year old so with their added safety in mind i'm currently in process of building a double 2ft high wall all around it, pond will be 13x12x6 when complete. equipment i've got so far is ultra clear 55w uv filter, hailea 25,000ltr p/h pump and 2 underwater pond lights. now after 10 years experience of filters i'm gonna DIY my filter boxes, firstly 32mm flexi pipe from pump to the uv then to a 80ltr bin, then 2 more 80ltr bins connected via 40mm rigid piping, then out the other end with 40mm piping to form my waterfall, the first bin will contain brushes, second flocor and the 3rd bin will be a vortex, with option of adding extra filter media if needed. with the exception of media which my friend has already gave me it gonna cost around £40 to build the filter.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum

I wish i paid more attention in school ..my metric... not so good

Reaction score
Hi Sailin. I have three sons roughly the same age as your children, and it sounds like you are trying to do the right thing to protect them by adding a fence. Right move!

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Hi Sailin. I have three sons roughly the same age as your children, and it sounds like you are trying to do the right thing to protect them by adding a fence. Right move!

well i love my fish, but my children more. starting filter build this afternoon, my backroom looks like a plumbers workshop at minute with all the pipework laid around, lol. so the missus wants it all sorted and out the way. weather dependant at the weekend i'll hopefully get most of my brickwork finished, 3 weeks off work so want the pond filled by the end of it.

Ask a Question