Pond Newbie

lisa rosso

Lisa
Reaction score
Hi there. My husband and I installed a pond in our backyard. It has taken about 2 months. We love it. A friend of ours had the pond in their yard and had to get rid of it. We have goldfish in it not koi. But they are still fun to watch. We are still working on it...plan to add more plants...Would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank you!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum...send some pics of the pond,,so we can help

lisa rosso

Lisa
Reaction score
DrCase said:
Welcome to the forum...send some pics of the pond,,so we can help

I tried to add pics yesterday....but had a little trouble doing it...will try again.

lisa rosso

Lisa
Reaction score
DSCF5870.jpg

lisa rosso

Lisa
Reaction score
That was a test photo....it worked! OK...we live in Charlotte, NC. We have to add more plants to the pond..in it and around it. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get plants? Should I try to find someone local or buy on line? It was a fun project...it was a lot of work...but really enjoy having it.

Here are some pics from start to finish:
DSCF5340.jpg
DSCF5545.jpg
DSCF5675.jpg
DSCF5870.jpg

Thank you!!

Reaction score
I like to get my plants locally. I find that they are larger than the ones available online. Lucky for me though, I have a place just down the road. I love water lilies, they are colorful, do a great job shading the water, provide hiding spots and best of all, they come back year after year. Looks to me that you will have enough sun available for them.

lisa rosso

Lisa
Reaction score
Yes, we do. I have been looking for a place locally and can't find anything close. But I'm still searching. Iris look beautiful too. I read that I shouldn't put anything else new...until the weather gt warmer.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
the pond looks nice ..Lisa what do you use for a filter?

lisa rosso

Lisa
Reaction score
A...CATALINA AQUARIUM 7500 Gallon Pressure UV Pond Filter PLUS 1400 GPH PUMP ( 2 of these filters)

We bought them on ebay....so far does a really nice job in keeping the water clean.
I have a questions.....from what I read....we don't have to feed the fish during winter,right....it says that they won't be able to digest the food and it will just stay in thier guts.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Watch your temps. Your adult Koi will stop eating about 55 degrees F. When they stop, keep watching temps since they don't always stay low.

Ask a Question