Pond noob

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just thought I would introduce myself. I have been lurking for the past couple of months while I get my pond started. Finally got water in it a few weeks ago (just in time for it to freeze over).

Future plans are for lots of plants and a very light fish bioload (perhaps a few comets). I did dig down to 3' in a significant section of the pond so that I can possibly have koi at some point in the future, but I'm more interested in the water garden aspect of it at this point.

Glad to have found this forum and have already learned a lot from you all.

Reaction score
welcome! welcome! are you really, like, an undertaker?? LOL!

What can you tell us about your filtration? Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your pond.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
welcome! welcome! are you really, like, an undertaker?? LOL!

What can you tell us about your filtration? Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your pond.

Not an undertaker by trade. It's a nickname friends gave me some years ago.

At this point, I don't have any external filtration. Just a return pump up to a stream bed/waterfall. I'll take the filtration question on when I decide what kind of livestock to add (and how much). I have a pretty good understanding of water filtration based on my experience with saltwater reef aquariums, so I will probably experiment with some different approaches. Corals have really sensitive requirements in terms of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, and other nutrients (not to mention calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, etc). Much more sensitive than fish.

At this point I am just waiting for the freezing weather to pass so I can start adding plants, etc. I'll get some progress photos up before too long.

Thanks for the welcome.

Reaction score
OK, time for a few pics.

Here is the early stuff - just getting started back in Oct:

DSCN2477.jpg

DSCN2475.jpg

DSCN2482.jpg

DSCN2476.jpg

Reaction score
Then we decided to take up the lawn on that part of the yard. Man, those sod lifters are great. Did the whole thing in about an hour. Just wish I had spent more time around the edges and detail work before I took the silly thing back to the rental place. Cleaning up by hand goes a lot slower.

DSCN2481.jpg

DSCN2486.jpg

With the grass out of the way, I got more serious with my digging.

DSCN2515.jpg

DSCN2520.jpg

The ledge around the edge is for submerged, potted plants. I plan to have quite a few of them in some long porous planter boxes.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Great pics , Your on your way to having a real nice pond.
Welcome to the forum

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, I'm looking forward to the final product. Trying to balance the desire to get it finished with also keeping the process fun and not too demanding. I'm glad I started in the fall, otherwise I think I would have stressed out trying to get it all done at once. As it has worked out now, it will be another month or two at least before I can start adding much in the way of plants, both to the pond and surrounding landscape. Helps me pace myself. :salook:

Ask a Question