Pond overhaul advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! Thanks for the great forum. I have already learned a ton. My story is I bought a house a year and a half ago here in Southern Wisconsin that had a small pond/waterfall stream setup. I think it was actually designed as more of a pond-less waterfall because at the base of the waterfall was about a 4ft deep 8x4ish "pond" with a couple of those aquablock things and a pump all covered in rock. Anyway, the prior owner didn't use it at all so I spent some time cleaning it up and got the pump running. It worked but I appeared to have a leak somewhere as it was losing inches of water a day. I think the whole thing is probably ~25 years old so due for an update anyway.

So long story short I would like to fix it up and make it a real pond. Potentially I would like to expand it to maybe 12x8 or so. I would like to winter fish in it so figured I would leave that 4ft section and add some shallower shelves to expand it. My questions are regarding what I actually need. I started looking at pond kits with skimmers and pumps and waterfall filter, but then found this place and everyone seems all about the bog filters. I like the idea of the bog, but am not sure if I still need a skimmer or the waterfall filter or not? Is one pump enough to run a bog and the waterfall or do I need 2? I know many people combine the two but don't think I can do that as the waterfall/stream is basically just a mound of dirt with the 8ft or so long stream on it, but not much surface area for a bog (I will try to get some pictures soon to make it more clear). I would love to get some advice on what you all would recommend or if there is something I am completely missing or not considering. I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like the idea of the bog, but am not sure if I still need a skimmer or the waterfall filter or not?

Some sort of skimming action is a must in my mind. It's your first level of defense against debris accumulation. And if the bog is sized properly, there's no need for a waterfall filter. Never hurts to have more filtration, though.

Is one pump enough to run a bog and the waterfall or do I need 2?
Depends on the pump, but no problem to run both with a single pump. You stick a wye on the output with a valve on each branch to direct flow and off you go.

I know many people combine the two but don't think I can do that as the waterfall/stream is basically just a mound of dirt with the 8ft or so long stream on it, but not much surface area for a bog

Is there physically not enough space? Even with a new liner? How wide is the stream area? For a 12x8 pond, I imagine you can make it work if the stream is 8'. The bog can take up the whole footprint of the stream and you can still have the stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Welcome njschwartz... you have come to the right place for information on expanding your pond! A lot of experience and knowledge here...I don't have a bog but most people on this site do and have oodles of good info on how to build one...We LOVE pictures so feel free to post some to get an idea of what you are working with:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some sort of skimming action is a must in my mind. It's your first level of defense against debris accumulation. And if the bog is sized properly, there's no need for a waterfall filter. Never hurts to have more filtration, though.

Depends on the pump, but no problem to run both with a single pump. You stick a wye on the output with a valve on each branch to direct flow and off you go.

Is there physically not enough space? Even with a new liner? How wide is the stream area? For a 12x8 pond, I imagine you can make it work if the stream is 8'. The bog can take up the whole footprint of the stream and you can still have the stream.
Thanks for the super fast replies! I will definitely post the pictures soon. So a skimmer for sure, and plus minus on the waterfall filter if I do a bog.

Logistically I just don't know how it would work to combine the two. It is a stepped stream and then waterfalls into the pond so putting an uplflow style bog would be a challenge I think. I will keep thinking though. I do have room for a bog somewhere else though. Speaking of bogs, I am curious how most build them. The guide from Nelson's shows using blocks as a permeable wall, but it seems most people run the liner over the wall and waterfall it back into the pond. Is there an advantage to one versus the other?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1653411902625.gif
and welcome @njschwartz

Reaction score
Country
United States
As promised some pictures of what I have currently. It is a bit of a mess as I get started tearing out the old liner and clearing the rocks away. Would love to hear thoughts on ways to do this. Thanks!

20220524_141602.jpg
20220524_141546.jpg
20220524_141533.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Neat feature we can help you make it neater!

Ask a Question