water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koiguy1969 said:
normally, a 1/2 cup should be more than fine for 200 gals .. but more than that wont hurt a thing.

hummm so I need 2500 cups of the stuff!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
where i get it ..it comes in bags "up to 1000 gals", "up to 5000 gals" etc... i started using it in my 450 gal pond after we 3 days of hard rain (acidic)..my ph dropped to 6.8 from 7.4... i used baking soda to get it up to 7.2 then added the oyster shells. i have yet to see it leave the 7.2 - 7.4 range since then. i use it with the basement pond (800 gal) as well... i can only relay my experience.. i'm guessing the 1000 gal bags are about 1&1/2 cups
the same has performed great in my 1200 gal pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks it is on my to do list as we finally get my pond up and running this spring, once it melts. I have been told it is at farm stores, but have not looked for it yet.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I was just recently told that oak leaves (which we have in abundance) release acid as they break down, and we already have a constant ph issue since we use well water which is also acidic. In my neck of the woods, the oaks rained acorns into the pond in November but are just now losing their leaves. I'm trying to rig something temporary to keep leaves out of the pond, but it's an ongoing battle.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Yes, you're right. I discovered that when my catfish died last year. Unfortunately, the man who put these ponds in put them directly underneath 2 large oak trees that are not on my property so I can't remove them. The koi are fine as most of the leaves and acorns fell into the catfish pond. We're trying to find a solution and get that pond cleaned up before we replace the catfish.

Reaction score
i couldnt get crushed oyster shells so i got crushed coral instead, was told it will have the same effect?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
JustJack said:
Yes, you're right. I discovered that when my catfish died last year. Unfortunately, the man who put these ponds in put them directly underneath 2 large oak trees that are not on my property so I can't remove them. The koi are fine as most of the leaves and acorns fell into the catfish pond. We're trying to find a solution and get that pond cleaned up before we replace the catfish.

thats a bummer sadly a lot put there ponds near to trees for shade

Reaction score
barry said:
i couldnt get crushed oyster shells so i got crushed coral instead, was told it will have the same effect?

barry, I have never used the crushed coral in a pond (as I'm a rookie) however I can tell you that crushed coral worked AWESOME at maintaing my pH levels rock solid at 7.2 in my aquariums. Curious how much crushed coral do you plan on putting in your system?

Reaction score
How many fish do you have in there? I wouldn't add anymore for a while. I think because it's a new pond it needs to run for a while. Don't these things balance out on their own a little with maturing plants and fish poop.
Maybe what I'm missing is that it is a smaller pond, it could more susceptible to fluctuation in ph. :regular_waving_emot
From what I'm reading I should check my PH more often.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got 50 lb bag at tractor supply here for 4 dollars and it was a damaged bag but the cost was good as there 5 lb bag was 5 dollars and a new tank adapter there cost me 8 dollars

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The main reason I bought them at tractor supply is they are pure and read an article about fresh oyster shells and the impurities from outside sources .Since they are so cheap and easy to get there and I do not like to use chemicals in my pond .I try to avoid those things as much as possible .I have a combination of bio balls and lava rock in my filters and it has worked well for me and of course the filters are for furnaces and buffing machine pads .The buffing machine pads come in 3 different textures .I use all 3 and cost 5 dollars at lowes here and I make sure I soak them well before using them just in case .

Reaction score
i put in around 1 kg of crushed coral in my filter (inside an old sock), and put around 4 kg into my pond, i was clever and went and got new plants, repotted them with fresh soil and used the crushed coral to sit on the surface of the pots to hold the soil in, looks good and seems to be holding my ph at slightly over 7.0

iv got a 200 gallon pond and im using 5kg total of crushed coral, my fish have stopped dieing and they are swimming around alot, very active at the moment so im very pleased :)

iv also been having extreme weather, sunny one day and torrential rain the next

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
:fish:Wondering could you have used the crushed coral instead of soil as my plants just grow in pea gravel and wondering if I put the crushed oyster shells in with the pea gravel when I repot them ,may try it and see:dunno:

Ask a Question