pond ph after rain

Reaction score
plants like soil, gives them something solid to gripto and there are nutriants in the soil which helps it, even if there was a little bit of soil in the bottom it would be best in my opinion

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What I understand is that fish give off nutrients also to help the plants grow but take oxygen from the water at night .I guess if I put some soil in the bottom and the gravel and maybe add in some oyster shells it could work .For 2 years now I have been growing my plants in gravel and they grow healthy as long as my fish don't destroy them first .That is why I started using gravel as dirt makes a mess of my pond when the fish root them apart .I have caught them pulling a plant across the pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
barry said:
i put in around 1 kg of crushed coral in my filter (inside an old sock), and put around 4 kg into my pond, i was clever and went and got new plants, repotted them with fresh soil and used the crushed coral to sit on the surface of the pots to hold the soil in, looks good and seems to be holding my ph at slightly over 7.0

iv got a 200 gallon pond and im using 5kg total of crushed coral, my fish have stopped dieing and they are swimming around alot, very active at the moment so im very pleased :)

iv also been having extreme weather, sunny one day and torrential rain the next

Neat idea about putting some of the coral on top of your potted plants. I have a lot of lilies in the pond, will do that also. I am also going to put some in the bog where it flows into the pond. That way it will have constant water movement.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
interesting what you can learn about and never knew .I like the fact it is more natural and cheaper than going to a pet store or buying that expensive stuff online that they sell in small quantities and you pay a fortune for it too .I know one of my neighbors here killed some of her fish by using that algae fix .She bought it thinking it would help kill the algae ,it didn't kill the algae but did kill several fish .I read the bottle she had could not believe that stuff and what was in it .

Ask a Question