Pond Plant Propagation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
My father in law has a 1 acre lake he made 30 yrs ago with all sorts of plants growing in it. But, the ones that do best, are not the type bought from a garden centre in pots, but the native plants. That'd be my advice - look for those that do well in your area anyway and find sources for those rather than trucking in stuff from a different climate, they're the ones likely to grow well in your lake too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I agree, I wouldn't waste any more money on plants from retailers.

I also have a 1 acre pond, 10 feet deep and last year I found that there are greenhouses that specialize in native seeds and seedlings. Check with your local wetlands association.
I would also check about the status of the yellow lily that you see in neighbouring ponds, it may be considered an invasive species and you could be fined if you transport it to another waterway (your pond).

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree with mitch. Native plants that are used to local conditions would probably be the best bet. Here in Wisconsin we have a few types of native lilies such as the bullhead pondlily and the white waterlily. I know for sure the bullhead lily grows in cold water, since I see it at a cold springfed lake I visit. Your area might have more, maybe less, but I'm sure you'll be able to find plants that will work in a pond of that size. Sounds like with a pond that size you have a natural bottom so you should be able to plant everything right in the ground.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Here's an idea! Build yourself a garden pond up near your house. Then you can go to town with all sorts of plants. Tons of help here for such a project. Really do wish you the best in all of your endeavors. I'm certain you are a good person who loves nature and the outdoors in general.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
LOL!!! Thanks for all the advice!!! Great stuff!!
Maybe I'll just stick to waterfowl! At least they leave after the nesting season....
We have a small island at one end of the pond and yesterday while I was walking around the pond, I accidentally bumped a fawn which jump into the pond and swam out to the island... It looked around for a minute then laid down for the rest of the evening... Mom must have come by during the night and coaxed it back to the mainland as it wasn't there this morning....
This is the first time that we have had deer on the island during the non-frozen period of the pond...
I have tried to introduce goldfish into the pond, but no joy there either... Aside from the Brooke Trout, we get our share of Merganzers, Blue Herons, an occasional Cormorant and we have even had osprey diving into the pond from the tops of surrounding pines....
The Cattails do fine and at least I know how to control them and they make great nesting spots for the Red-Winged Blackbirds...
Again thanks for all of your comments and suggestions!!!! I'll just enjoy the photos of other folk's ponds! OooRah!
~Semper Fi~
Chuck
BTW... Nice photo of a 4 acre plot.... Our's is shaped more like a kidney..... :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OooRah Marine. I had the honor of being stationed with Air Forces Iceland at Keflavik NAS in 1977-1978. Navy P3's, USAF F4E's and the predecessor to AWACS. The Marine Barracks provided primeter security. Outstanding troops.

Btw, we would still love to see photos of your property.
Enjoy life Walker.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Big Lou.... You were in the Navy or the Air Force?
USMC '70~'74 here.... 'Nam in '72 But as they say, once a Marine, always a Marine...
Now I just try to raise awareness to the high suicide rate among our warriors and raise $$$ for the programs that support the wounded, disabled and homeless veterans...and remind folks what Patriotism is suppose to be...
Two years ago I walked across the US... Started in Everett, WA and finished up at "The Wall" in DC... 5 months 26 Days, a tad over 3500 miles and three pairs of shoes later.. I think that I was somewhere in Wisconsin when my first social security check was deposited into my bank account! ;)
Here's a link to my website: www.WalkingForTheFallen.com
I also have a Facebook page under Montana Honor Guard or Chuck Lewis... I actually have three Facebook pages the MHG is just for veteran information on what Honor Guards are all about... Avitar ~ Dog Tags w/Folded Flag in the background. Then there's Walking for the Fallen ~ USA and last but not least is Chuck Lewis.. Avitar ~ A Black Bear with a jar over it's head... I.e. Jar Head... But I am fairly politically vociferous on that one.... Yes Schizophrenia is alive and well here in Montana!!!
The Table in my Avitar is one of the displays that I take around the State for Veteran events... I also have a battery of flags, a 35' portable flag pole and a battlecross (Boots, Rifle & Helmet) that I take around...
I continue to support our Veterans monetarily and by giving free presentations to anyone that will listen...
Never Forget! ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Air Force 8 years. Army 12. 1972 - 1993. Orders to VN cancelled during USAF draw back. Dedicated mission support to Desert Sform from Ft. Bliss. Stationed around the world, including Middle East before war and all across U.S..

God bless you for your good works brother.

Ask a Question