Pond pump recommendation

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You can use any filter you like, Katydid, it just takes a little ingenuity and a walk through your local Home Depot's plumbing department. Laguna's filters usually come with the quick-connect fitting, but this can be replaced with a hose barb fitting, a short pipe nipple, or an irrigation quick-connect to fit the size of hose you use. Pond stores will often stock a variety of fittings also.
John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yes, the new pumps have yellow parts on them, whereas the older ones were all black. Several of the GPH specs have changed, and they are supposed to use slightly less energy. I don't have the new specs here, they're on my desk at work, so I can't tell you exactly what the changes are. I'll try to post them in a day or two.
John

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks John, I noticed a few sellers advertising them on eBay, listing the pumps previous model number followed by the new one. Like how they made them more energy efficient. Haven't purchased any yet, but they will replace my current pumps when they fail. Do they have any plans to make a larger pump that has a higher flow rate than the 4200 gph model?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Not to the best of my knowledge, Nathan. I forgot to add, in the previous post, that Laguna is bringing in the new pumps as stock of the older models is depleted, so no older stock is left on the shelves. They were offering deals on the old ones to clear them out, so you may be able to get one cheaper. Plus, of course, the new ones will have a slight price increase! New, improved, more expensive... isn't that always the case?
John

Reaction score
I am finding all this equally confusing. When getting a pump I think you have to consider not only gph but head pressure as to how high your waterfall will be. I'm starting out and I hate to undersize anything as I got hooked small and want to continually go bigger. The only problems I see with using different brands is in pipe sizing which I am guessing can be accomplished with fittings, but probably has greater impact on functionability.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Birdman; Most of the boxes that pumps come in will have graphs to show gph at any given head. If you want 2,000 gph at 10', you'll probably need a pump that puts out around 6,000 gph at water level. (Just a guess, don't quote me!) These graphs are often included in on-line ads, or can be found on manufacturers' websites. You have to figure out what you want, and then do your homework!
John

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a back-up pump that I can also use as a bottom cleaner. As well, I'll use it this summer and fall until I do the winter project of adding a skimmer and bog to last winters addition. Anywho ..... With the pond bottom being so many different levels, I made the novice decision to forgo a bottom drain. With the many different levels and half and half connected by one 4" pipe, a single retro bottom drain wouldn't even work. So, my bright idea is to have a pump with enough umph to pick junk off the bottom during a water change. I can just alternate the low spots in the pond. And, I can use it now because my 350 gph pump isn't keeping up with all the summer time activities in the new addition. (omg the frog eggs and tadpoles)

So, my question ..... Webbs Online has the best prices, on the old models - and the new models are [gulp] a whole lot more. I'm looking at the 2900 gph. $159 for the old model, $262 for the next generation model. Did I mention gulp!

OK, so I've never seen a Laguna pump, will a 2900 Laguna make a decent 'suck crap off the bottom during a water change' pump? And how tough is it going to be to get it connected to standard 1/2 tubing to mate up with a water hose during water changes? I pump water from the pond out about 100' to a berry & fruit patch, and find using the water hose the most practical means.

Here's a sorta recent photo of the pond.

IMG_0411.JPG

PS - my current main pump is a Pondmaster 24 - It is on the far side, beyond the fountain. It doesn't circulate the water between the two sides currently.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I called them about mine and they are supposed to send me a new one ,when not sure .But other one over heating and throwing off steam and shutting itself off really concerned me it was the 2900 gph

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Gardengimp; your local hardware store or homecenter should carry portable sump pumps. These often come with a hose-thread connection, making it simple to screw on a garden hose and lower it into the pond. These pumps are designed to move SOME sludge, and can often be had for $60 to $70 dollars.
John

Ask a Question