TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Perhaps you can build the new pond next to the old one and convert the old one into a bog filter.

Pull the water from the new pond into slotted pvc manifold pipes buried under pea gravel in the old pond (now a bog). The water flows up through the gravel and returns to the pond by way of a low point in the common wall between the pond and the bog. Grow plants in the gravel which will help remove excess nutrients. Your pond water will be clean and clear.
sounds like a great idea! I have done some more caculating, and turns out based on volume, I cant afford to loose anything in that area, and still have enough space for the koi, so my current idea, was where I needed a fence to keep the cats out, I would insteead build an above ground bog that spills into the small pond after the stream :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pretty state, I had a house in Bayfield Co with previous hubby. Up around 7000 feet elevation. We were right next to streams , never did build a pond up there. Built a pond in AZ where our other house was, I had to work in AZ. The house was to be our retirement...............up in cold snowy CO, but he passed. I sold.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Pretty state, I had a house in Bayfield Co with previous hubby. Up around 7000 feet elevation. We were right next to streams , never did build a pond up there. Built a pond in AZ where our other house was, I had to work in AZ. The house was to be our retirement...............up in cold snowy CO, but he passed. I sold.
thats really sad, but I hope you enjoyed your time up here! :)

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Remind me again- how many koi do you have?
Just 2, and I don’t really plan on getting any more, I will probably just do like 3 more goldfish once the pond is made bigger, bringing the total fish too 6

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Are you testing your water. Recent results?
Indeed I am, I use API master test kit, but rarely test for ph, because it really is what it is in our city water it is fine, here they are

ammonia: 0

nitrites: 0

nitrates: 4

the nitrates are a bit low because the fish just went in this pond a couple weeks ago :)

Ask a Question