Pond shape

Reaction score
I just posted a question about sloped walls in the DYI section but have another question. I would rather not have to raise the plants up on milk containers etc to get the correct planting height. I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't make the complete pond 3 feet deep (that would limit what I could plant without raising them up some way) but only a section of it for the fish to live in the winter. If that is the case what percentage should be deep water?

Reaction score
As much as possible. For what its worth I dug plant shelves into my pond and now I wish I hadn't. I'd rather have the extra gallonage. Also, I use cinder blocks to set the plants on. The fish love swimming through the holes. I imagine you could cut bigger holes in the sides of the milk crates and it would give the fish a place to swim through, find shade, and take cover from predators.

Ask a Question