Strange Pond Shape

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thanks for having me on your forum. This is my first post.

I have a few questions. I have attached a picture of the "table" I was thinking of converting into a pond, using liner. As you can see, it is very shallow; the water would only be about five inches deep. What fish, if any, thrive in water this shallow, and feed on insect larvae? They would also need to be able to tolerate high temperatures and fluctuation in temperature since it would likely be outside. I would have it on a porch and it would not get direct sunlight but there is plenty of sun out here.

Any plant or fish suggestions, considering the climate and shape of the possible pond?

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 276

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could probably get some water plants to grow nicely, my deep arizona pond gets hot, 85 or so, and that is with constant water flow and spray. I am not sure a fish could handle how hot that water would get. If you try anything try come guppies, mosquito fish to eat the bugs and skeeters.

Reaction score
Thanks to your reply! I was worried about the heat. I may just turn this into a planter and work on a real pond for the yard a little later. Looking forward to a new hobby either way. Thanks for your help, I'm sure I will be back when the time comes!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeflowers.gif
PuffZilla
That sounds like a better idea or you might end up w/ fish soup :lol:
If you dig a pond there in Arizona make sure you dig it pretty deep so the fish can go down where the water is cooler to escape those hot days. Addy can tell you more about how deep for that area :cool:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
"Endler's Livebearer, Endler's Guppy, or Endler's Poecilia."

The wild Guppy (Poecilia Reticulata)

Common Names: Least Killifish Scientific name Heterandria formosa

All of these can handle high temps, are very small and will eat mosquito larve. None like the cold though and all should have some aeration or a small filter to keep the oxygen level up during the heat of summer.

Reaction score
Haha, fish soup (ick) is exactly what I am trying to avoid! I am not so into torturing fishies :)

And you are ahead of me! How large should a pond be to make sure the fish will be comfortable in the wretchedly hot summer? Is there a guide somewhere I can get this info myself?

I plan to put an aerator and maybe a water filter also. As you can probably tell I have a long way to go and right now am just trying to figure out how big of a pond I would need to have, and if it is feasible.

Thanks for the awesome welcome and again for your advice and help!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a pond in arizona, it is large, but the main thing that helps is aeration and being deep. Mine is 5 feet deep. The water stayed in the 85 degree range mid summer. I have a 4 foot water fall to aerate the water and cool it.

Ask a Question