5b
Country
United States
Depends on-
1. Age of fish
2. Level of biofiltration

3 koi are 3 and 1/2yrs old, all the rest are babies bought last Spring

I will for sure want to add filtration later on, but I have no idea how/what
right now I have 1 skimmer box going to 2 separate waterfalls and of course the plants but because I live in zone 5, I cannot rely on plants since I don't have them for several months out of the year
I also don't have much room around the pond, just enough to plant a few annuals and walk around it

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
3 koi are 3 and 1/2yrs old, all the rest are babies bought last Spring

I will for sure want to add filtration later on, but I have no idea how/what
right now I have 1 skimmer box going to 2 separate waterfalls and of course the plants but because I live in zone 5, I cannot rely on plants since I don't have them for several months out of the year
I also don't have much room around the pond, just enough to plant a few annuals and walk around it

Are the waterfalls also biofiters?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you have only one female, it will get beat up pretty bad by all the males chasing her. My females (goldfish) all end up with split fins after spawning. I have 4 males and 3 females.
yup! I posted about this last Fall when I realized I might end up having this issue. ...but there's still hope that some of the fish were just too young to be chased and that's why only one was

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the only dimensions I know about the waterfalls are the openings, one is an Elite 22" and the other is an Aquascape 18" or 20"

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
the only dimensions I know about the waterfalls are the openings, one is an Elite 22" and the other is an Aquascape 18" or 20"

Based on this information you should have sufficient biofiltration to support your current fish load, but I would closely monitor water quality as your "babies" grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh thank you, I feel so much better!

Ask a Question