addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Built in or add on? I used a pool skimmer, hayward wide weir, works great.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have the Oase floating skimmer, Swim Skim. There are 2 sizes, but the larger size isn't available to me -- I think only in Europe or the UK, which is good for you.

For not having a built-in skimmer, this one is a good alternative. It's not perfect, but it does a good job of getting the smaller surface stuff. And a plus is that it also aerates. The only problem I've had with this skimmer is that it will occas. "pop up." But it's never burned out the motor, and that's after several hours. Since it's smaller than a regular skimmer, I do have to empty the basket and clean the sponge filter pretty often, depending on the season.

Before this one, I had another version -- a Jaebco [or something]. It's very similar to the Oase, but where the Oase only pulls in on one side, this other one pulls in 360 degrees. I didn't like it. If the Oase "pops up" once a week, the Jaebco "popped up" almost daily. You have to figure out a way to weight it.

I see there's another brand that's [again] not available here. The name starts with a "V" [Vella, or something like that]. Wish I could give that one a try......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks guys, we opted for the Jabou version as they were going cheap. Suffice to say, it pops up regularly lol... Be we will persevere for now.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks guys, we opted for the Jabou version as they were going cheap. Suffice to say, it pops up regularly lol... Be we will persevere for now.
When I was researching mine, I read a lot of reviews where people said they put rocks inside [the basket?] to weight it very slightly, which seemed to help with the pop-ups. Worth a try.

Ask a Question