Pond temp Check

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I took my pond thermometer out yesterday, and it was 42F here in IL. Brr .... but I'm sure it got warmer as the day went on, since it was up to about 60 yesterday. This morning, 60 outside, very windy but warm. Fish stopped eating about a month ago, when the temps got down to below 55, just like all of you said! Quit feeding at that time. They pretty much stay at the bottom now.
Wondering if I'm making the water colder by keeping the waterfall going (when the outside temps are colder, that is, as right now it's probably warming the water), and if that is a problem for the fish. My figuring is the water is going to be pretty much the temp of the outside, maybe change quicker with the waterfall still running. I want to keep the waterfall and skimmer running until freeze is imminent, as they will both be very easy to disconnect, drain, or drop tubing into the pond. Is this an ok idea? Thanks!
Patti

Reaction score
Pond at 50 degrees today. Fish are just hovering around. Stopped feeding them about 2 weeks ago when the water started hitting the low 40's. Been feeding them the wheatgerm food for about a month since the water dropped below 70.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I took my pond thermometer out yesterday, and it was 42F here in IL. Brr .... but I'm sure it got warmer as the day went on, since it was up to about 60 yesterday. This morning, 60 outside, very windy but warm. Fish stopped eating about a month ago, when the temps got down to below 55, just like all of you said! Quit feeding at that time. They pretty much stay at the bottom now.
Wondering if I'm making the water colder by keeping the waterfall going (when the outside temps are colder, that is, as right now it's probably warming the water), and if that is a problem for the fish. My figuring is the water is going to be pretty much the temp of the outside, maybe change quicker with the waterfall still running. I want to keep the waterfall and skimmer running until freeze is imminent, as they will both be very easy to disconnect, drain, or drop tubing into the pond. Is this an ok idea? Thanks!
Patti
Patti, water temps are not a problem if they are still flowing. All goldfish and Koi can handle ANY cool water temps as long as the pond isn't completely frozen over. Once the water fall starts to freeze by that point most bacteria have stopped working so at that point you just want to keep the oxygen level up and a hole for gas exchange. Once you do disconnect the stream/waterfall if possible leave a pump running from the bottom of the pond pushing upward But not shooting above the pond surface. ( does this make sense?) This will move less oxygenated water up toward the surface to regain O2 levels, also this will help keep a hole in the ice if there is a light covering of ice on the pond. Biggest thing is DO NOT FEED at all once the temps have dropped. even if they climb for a day or two and the fish become active don't feed, let them feed from what's in the pond and the body fat they have stored throught the summer month's. Here that happens quite often and it's hard not to throw a few pieces of food in for them. believe me they won't starve and you'll start off next spring with a far more stable pond and less chance of a algae bloom in the spring if you'll let them do their own natural feeding from algae's, plant matter, and insects that are in the pond.

BTW, water temps here are still between 55 degrees in the morning to 68 in the late afternoon, fish are still very actice and feeding on wheat germ only now. i'm down to feeding two small feedings a day. almost all the plants are now going dormant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Larkin. Yes, when I unhook my submersible pump from the waterfall, my intention is to leave the pump in the pond, shooting straight up. I'm hoping it won't have too much pressure and won't go above the surface, but I will soon find out. I may not need that floating heater after all, but will keep it just in case. I have the pump in the shallower area of the pond (41" vs. 48") and up on a 6" thick stone (which is on extra padding and extra layer of rubber liner) so it should not be down in any muck that forms this winter. My first winter, so I'm trying to listen to as much advise as possible on the winterization process. :)
And, I was guilty of stopping feeding the koi, then the water warmed up past the 55 degrees so I fed them for another week or 2, but learned that was not a good thing, so have not fed them for about a month or maybe little less now. Will wait until temps are consistently above 55 next spring before starting to feed them again, too.

Reaction score
Thanks, Larkin. Yes, when I unhook my submersible pump from the waterfall, my intention is to leave the pump in the pond, shooting straight up. I'm hoping it won't have too much pressure and won't go above the surface, but I will soon find out. I may not need that floating heater after all, but will keep it just in case. I have the pump in the shallower area of the pond (41" vs. 48") and up on a 6" thick stone (which is on extra padding and extra layer of rubber liner) so it should not be down in any muck that forms this winter. My first winter, so I'm trying to listen to as much advise as possible on the winterization process. :)
And, I was guilty of stopping feeding the koi, then the water warmed up past the 55 degrees so I fed them for another week or 2, but learned that was not a good thing, so have not fed them for about a month or maybe little less now. Will wait until temps are consistently above 55 next spring before starting to feed them again, too.

The first winter is always scary Just keep thatr hoile in the ice and all will be ok. I use an air pump for that.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Patti, where you have the pump is perfect, If possible you don't want to draw water straight from the bottom. this gives a more stable temp layer of water from the 41" -48" depth, you don't stir up as much muck, and it will still have a good mixing effect and bring the slightly warmer water to the surface. if you do use the de-icer you can use it either near the area that the pump is pushing water up, or you can move it to a opposite end for dual protection. This is where you'll need to experiment some to see what works best for you. I even have a de-icer for my pond way down here. It's a lot better to have it and not need it that not have it and need it! i think you'll be fine, sounds like your following a lot of good research and recommendations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, Larkin. I had to laugh, because my "research" is 100% from here on the GPF. I get oh so much good advice on here, and I feel individuals that are ponders have far better info than anything I could find on the internet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
been close to 80 outside here and pond is in full sun so temps got up to 65 and we are supposed to get 2 inches of rain tomorrow and sure that temps outside and in the pond are going to drop fast .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh temps really dropped today here after storm got by .It was 56 this morning and now is only 42 and supposed to get down to 30 rained or misted most of the day so did not go out to check pond temp

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Talking snow here tonight or tomorrow and in the 20's over the weekend. Geez I'm not ready for this...............did I say I miss Hawaii weather already, lol! Think I'll go back and live on the beach. Talked to a homeless woman there and she looked just as clean and nice as any tourist there. She was living on the streets and collects her social security...............so she's like prolly in her 60's. Has a boyfriend and they take trips here and there. She sleeps down close to the police station for safety cuz she got mugged a few times when she slept in the parks. I kept saying to her...............I can't believe you are homeless! Her and her boyfriend are going to pool their monies when they get enough for rent, deposit etc. and get a place to live there. If you are gonna be homeless I say that's where to live!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've seen my water all the way down to 38 degrees already, however I assume its been colder since I've seen ice on the surface a couple times in the past weeks. I've also seen the temp bounce back up near 50 again, and some of the smaller fish were feeding a little. Gave me a chance to get some of the wheat-germ food in them before they completely give up for the season.

Ask a Question