pond temperature

Reaction score
OK - how does everyone gauge the water temperature in their ponds?
what do you use? specific examples and links would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have purchased 2. The one below was good except that the cable was pretty thin and I guess just from the contact with rocks and everyday things, cable broke. Actually, I bought the "home" unit and one "remote." However, ended up with 2 "remotes" [can get them separately] -- placed one probe close to the surface, and sank the other one to the deepest point. Temps seemed accurate. One nice thing is that the probes can be unplugged. [BTW, one the "home" unit, it only displays 2 temps, NOT 2 probes -- I was thinking I could monitor both probes inside the house from that unit, but doesn't work that way. Darn, 'cause that would be great not to have to go outside].

When the 2nd one's cable broke, I decided to try a different one -- can't find it just this minute, but also from AMAZON.

http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Tec...=1389212832&sr=8-13&keywords=pond+thermometer

On the 2nd one [will find & include that link], one of the probes stopped working after a few days. I mean to contact the co., but haven't gotten around to it yet. On this one, the probes can't be unplugged. Except for the probe that stopped working, temps seem accurate.

Both are supposed to be for outdoor use and are weatherproof.

I got a Home Depot gift card for Christmas and saw a temp. gun -- bought it :) So far, not thinking the temps are too accurate. I have a piece of PVC pipe in the pond, and that's what I aim the beam at. Temps may not be accurate, but they are consistent -- and it's kinda fun to play with.... RYOBI makes it, but it was an impulse buy -- no research done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I use a swimming pool remote it works a treat combine it with a weather station and you have both air and water temperature readings giving you more than enough Idea of whats going on .
They dont cost the earth about £25.00 uk

Dave

Reaction score
thanks to all - i remembered i have an infrared thermometer - tried that last night and seemed to be able to show water temperature ... i know its only surface temperature of the water, but i get an idea of the temperature at least.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I don't know why I haven't picked up one of these digital thermometers before. I'm seeing on Amazon quite a few aquarium thermometers listed for cheap. You can get one with a 3foot cable for about $4. Getting up into the better quality, I've seen some with 10foot cables in the $20 range. It would be really nice to know what the water temps are at the bottom of my pond, especially when it freezes over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
jmajid said:
thanks to all - i remembered i have an infrared thermometer - tried that last night and seemed to be able to show water temperature ... i know its only surface temperature of the water, but i get an idea of the temperature at least.
The only problem with an infrared thermometer is they are prone to giving you a false reading we have a small hand hed unit that is extremely accurate, trouble is we found that f left in a warm room or in your pocket you are apt to get a false reading .
So for reading the outside temperature of our pond we use this remote model and it works a treat , we currently have an in pond temperature of 10.5c down .1c from yesterday corresponding with the cold night we had last night .
Our Air temperature readings are covered by a remote weather station so apart from stepping out to do water changes or water perameters we can just look and know exactly whats what
This is the model we use and we cannot fault it :-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8W48ZH6&linkCode=as2&tag=swimunive-20

About £20-24.00 uk cost wise

Cheap at half the price and for a piece of mind priceless

Dave

Reaction score
thanks all :)
im going to stick with my IR gun and knowing what the ambient air temperature is for now - i am only needing to get an understanding of relative change in temperature and how much the air vs surface water temp difference was.

Ask a Question