Pond tour next two weeks in the Chicago area

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
jw, that would be fun just going from pond to pond and yes I agree that would be a good law requiring everyone to have one! One of the last pictures I posted with all the rocks was only half the pond. The owner actually had a bridge you could walk across that split the pond in half. The bad part when you go on the tour is you look for a few minutes and then leave to see another when the owner of that pond put in 100's or 1000's of hours to design, build, and improve it and you gave them only 10 or 15 minutes of your time to see it. My wife who normally doesn't show a lot of interest in our pond actually offered to go see the ponds today because our daughter was at Lallapaloza with her friends and we didn't have a lot to do. Had to tell her the tours were over until next year!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well now you know where they all are so you and your wife can just be happening to walk by these homes w/ the ponds and see the owners out in their yards and say hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, we were just in the neighborhood and oh we were a visitor to your pond on the tour and would just like to say what a lovely pond you have and it's sure a shame we weren't allowed to see it for very long and voila before ya know it you are sitting by their ponds having tea and crumpets :) and it looks like there is hope for your wife too in getting interested in the pond addiction yet :goldfish:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
jw, thats a great idea because some of the pond owners do say to stop by if we are in the neighborhood again. Now if I could get her to take a walk down a side street anywhere from 5-50 miles away...

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This year when we had our annual neighborhood yard sale I had a few people who asked if they could take a look at the pond. Of course I said yes, she brought her husband back the next weekend to get some ideas on what they wanted to do and they really liked it. I think next year I will just open up the gate and allow people to take a gander if they so choose. We live next to a piece of property that the neighborhood owns and is landscaped all nice and pretty, we get little kids that come up to our fence on that side climbing on the fence to take a look. It's kind of cute b/c you can tell by their actions that they aren't sure if they should be doing this or not. Once I even had two kids ask if they could come into the yard and look around, they did this several times.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It's nice to be able to share fun things that you have created w/ others and allow them to learn for maybe future ponds for themselves. Those little kids may grow up to want to make a pond just because they remember what you were kind enough to show them. Heck they may have went right home and started digging the back yard up! Oops, you may have some parents come looking for you, lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
jw, thats a great idea because some of the pond owners do say to stop by if we are in the neighborhood again. Now if I could get her to take a walk down a side street anywhere from 5-50 miles away...

Hey now's the perfect time to get a couple of those little scooters that are so fun to drive.............good gas mileage too :moped:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are at the end of a rural neighborhood street, in a very small development, nobody comes around.............but we do love that too! Have not seen a single yard sale here.

well the deer, fox, etc come by but not people

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This year when we had our annual neighborhood yard sale I had a few people who asked if they could take a look at the pond. Of course I said yes, she brought her husband back the next weekend to get some ideas on what they wanted to do and they really liked it. I think next year I will just open up the gate and allow people to take a gander if they so choose. We live next to a piece of property that the neighborhood owns and is landscaped all nice and pretty, we get little kids that come up to our fence on that side climbing on the fence to take a look. It's kind of cute b/c you can tell by their actions that they aren't sure if they should be doing this or not. Once I even had two kids ask if they could come into the yard and look around, they did this several times.

I get a lot of traffic here, the craiglist folks usually get a tour of the ponds and I am happy to say, some are now digging ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How do Craigs list people get tours? I didn't even know there were such people! Maybe we can get Google Earth to label ponds on their map like they do other things. I actually saw a Google maps vehicle drive down our street the other day. My wife said I should have run after the truck so I could be in all the neighborhood maps! lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think he posts things for sale on craigslist, the ones that come to buy get a tour. ................

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I advertise pond plants on craigslist so the ponds get a lot of exposure when showing how I use them to make a natural setting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok, I get it now. i thought maybe the people who work for craigslist. Here we have Groupon and they have 2 or 3 thousand employees in the Chicago area. They are not high paying jobs but at least they are jobs and i think their work is probably interesting. I thought Craig showed up with his handful of employees!... yes this pond thing is infectious. Someone sees one and they start thinking of planning their own!

Ask a Question